Stuff Happens So Says Evander Kane

from John Vogl of the Buffalo News,

As the Buffalo Sabres arrived for training camp Thursday, only one player faced questions about a criminal case.

Despite that fact, Evander Kane shrugged off his legal problems as merely something that happens to athletes.

“These situations are what they are,” Kane said in KeyBank Center. “They happen to athletes or people in a position such as myself. Those are things you just have to deal with and kind of come with the territory. In saying that, you have to be a little more aware and kind of put yourself on a higher pedestal than you maybe think you are.

“Off the ice, these things unfortunately happen more often than not. They’re only becoming more and more relevant every day if you look around the other sports. For me, it’s just trying to stay out of that kind of stuff, kind of picking my spots better.”

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Buffalo Sabres, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: evander+kane

Comments

Keyser S.'s avatar

In other words, “I’m black, it happens”.

Posted by Keyser S. on 09/22/16 at 01:18 PM ET

Posted by Keyser S. on 09/22/16 at 01:18 PM ET

Oh, hello racism!  How are you?

Posted by Garth on 09/22/16 at 01:56 PM ET

In other words, “I’m black, it happens”.

WTF?!?!?

GTFO

Posted by redwings_lifer on 09/22/16 at 02:42 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Just gonna ignore that first comment.

Will say that the jets got a steal in the Myers trade for Kane. Even if Myers never cones close to his rookie campaign. Regardless of race, some players are just not worth the baggage that seems to follow them.

Posted by Down River Dan on 09/22/16 at 03:02 PM ET

There is no implication that he is making this about race. He is saying people tend to accuse athletes. You can agree or disagree, but claiming he’s making a race statement is way off base.

Whether the accusations against Kane have merit or not, you can bet this isn’t what the Sabres want to hear him saying to the press. That speaks volumes.

Posted by Jamespqr on 09/22/16 at 03:04 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

E Kane has some problems figuring out right from wrong, a lot.  Can’t blame the $$ , every top young gun gets paid big $$

Talented but dumb. Stay in Buffalo, Patrick Kane seems to think anything goes there…hmm maybe it does. Maybe just a KANE Thing???

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 09/22/16 at 06:06 PM ET

Keyser S.'s avatar

I wish i was dumb and just yelled racism at everything. Life woud be like simple. But if you read between the lines, hes saying racism. Do you simple folk not comprehend what you read?

Posted by Keyser S. on 09/23/16 at 01:42 AM ET

That’s what YOU read between the lines. I found his response to be much more about high profile athletes being the targets of false accusations.

I said it when it happened. Kane needs to be more careful about where he goes, how late he is staying there and who he hangs out with. Mom’s all over the world say “nothing good happens after midnight”. I’m guessing the odds are much worse around closing time at a strip club/bar at 4AM. He’s permitted to have fun but he is right to say that there are SOME looking to make money off this kind of case.

I’m NOT saying Kane is innocent or guilty. I don’t have all the facts in front of me to make that judgment. Hopefully someone who does makes the right decision.

It is a little weird no one from Buffalo management or the NHL has spoken to Kane about it.

Posted by evileye on 09/23/16 at 09:16 AM ET