Should The Players Meet The Owners?

from Pierre LeBrun of ESPN,

So if you’re the PA, what do you do here?

On the one hand, players have long ago and predictably tired of Bettman -- name-calling and all -- so the opportunity to see him removed from the bargaining room seems like an offer too good to resist.

On the flip side, some people were quick to argue on Twitter Thursday night that the NHL has always wanted to find a way to split Fehr away from the players, so perhaps this was a chance to do it?

I’m not sure I buy that, but certainly you can make the case the NHL has long been concerned in this process that it hasn’t been able to properly get its message directly across to the rank and file players. So this would certainly present that chance.

If I’m in the NHLPA, as my ESPN colleague Katie Strang suggested Thursday night, I only agree on doing this if all 30 owners are invited to join if they so chose to.

I’d go further. I’d request that Jeremy Jacobs also join Bettman on the bench. Whether or not the kind of vitriol the players have for the Boston Bruins' owner is justified on all levels, the fact remains that he has come to represent all that is wrong with NHL ownership in the eyes of players. Get him out of the room.

Filed in: NHL Talk, NHLPA, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Paul From Cali's avatar

The mistake the players made was in hiring Fehr in the first place.  Now is their chance to correct that mistake and remove him from the equation.  If they don’t they won’t play NHL hockey this year.

Posted by Paul From Cali on 11/29/12 at 08:05 PM ET

mmuskrat's avatar

Get Jacobs out?  So you’re saying they should pick and choose until they have only nice people in the room?  That’s silly.

Posted by mmuskrat on 11/29/12 at 10:58 PM ET

The mistake the players made was in hiring Fehr in the first place

Seeing that Bettman has already eaten his way through everyone else the NHLPA has used in past CBA negotiations, I would say the NHLPA brought in Fehr too late as opposed to too soon.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 11/30/12 at 10:47 AM ET

Paul From Cali's avatar

My belief is that Fehr should have never been brought in at all.  He and Selig ruined the credibility of baseball by allowing the drug culture to permeate the sport and ignoring all the warning signs.  While all that went on Fehr fought for more rights and more privacy for the MLB players including resisting all drug testing proposals for over a decade.  By the time he & Selig came to their senses baseball was destroyed.

Now Fehr comes to the NHLPA and combined with Bettman the credibility of hockey is being destroyed, and unlike baseball the NHL can’t take the popularity hit.

The day the NHLPA hired Don Fehr I said it was the worst thing the players could do and I still believe that.  That’s not to say Bettman and the owners don’t bear a large amount of responsibility for this mess because they do.  But if the NHLPA had someone else negotiating on their behalf….ANYONE else….this situation would have been solved already.

Posted by Paul From Cali on 11/30/12 at 11:11 AM ET

ANYONE elseā€¦.this situation would have been solved already.

Some say the same thing about Bettman.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 11/30/12 at 11:18 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Yes, that poor $10B a year industry that hasn’t had labor strife in 20 years.

DESTROYED!

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/30/12 at 11:57 AM ET

Paul From Cali's avatar

It’s credibility has been severely damaged thanks to the steroid era.  If that scandal had been in the NHL instead of the MLB there would be no NHL anymore.  MLB survived because of how big it was before the scandal.  That doesn’t mean its credibility wasn’t heavily damaged.

Posted by Paul From Cali on 11/30/12 at 01:46 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I’m sorry, I can’t find this information on Forbes or anywhere.

Could you explain to me where on the profit/loss ledger the line for “credibility” goes?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/30/12 at 01:55 PM ET

Baseball’s not an actual sport any more. The games are played so families have something to look at while they eat their hotdogs and wait for the fireworks show they bought tickets to see.

Posted by larry on 11/30/12 at 01:58 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Seems I get to use this jpeg a lot today…

Posted by larry on 11/30/12 at 01:58 PM ET

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 11/30/12 at 02:02 PM ET

The remarkable thing about that movie is that no matter how Jeff Bridges gets tossed around or what he gets thrown into, he always has the presence of mind to keep his drink from spilling.

Posted by larry on 11/30/12 at 02:08 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

He did spill his cream at the beginning of the movie while getting a swirly.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 11/30/12 at 02:14 PM ET

Yeah, but he learned his lesson.

Posted by larry on 11/30/12 at 02:24 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Yeah…but…that rug really tied the room together.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 11/30/12 at 04:15 PM ET