Ryan Malone Arrested For DUI And Cocaine Possession

from Damian Cristodero of Lightning Strikes,

Lightning left wing Ryan Malone was arrested Saturday morning on charges of driving under the influence and cocaine possession.

"We are aware of the sitution concerning Ryan Malone this morning," general manager Steve Yzerman said in a statement. "Ryan will not travel with the tem to Washington today, but beyond tht we cannot comment further at this time."

continued

added 1:49pm,

NEW YORK (April 12, 2014) – Bill Daly, Deputy Commissioner of the National Hockey League, today released the following statement regarding Tampa Bay Lightning forward Ryan Malone:

“We are aware of the situation this morning involving Tampa Bay Lightning forward Ryan Malone. Under the terms of the collectively bargained joint NHL/NHLPA Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health Program, Mr. Malone is subject to mandatory evaluation and, if deemed necessary by the Program Doctors, treatment pursuant to the terms of that Program. His future playing status, both in the near term and during the Playoffs, will be determined in accordance the terms of our SABH Program.”

Filed in: NHL Teams, Tampa Bay Lightning, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: ryan+malone

Comments

Thag's avatar

What a total dipstick.  You can retire in your 30s and do all the coke you want then…

Posted by Thag from DC on 04/12/14 at 10:20 AM ET

awould's avatar

He does coke so he can work longer, so he can earn more…

Classic

Posted by awould on 04/12/14 at 11:01 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Say goodbye to your career, Ryan, and hello to a lot of the money you maybe have saved being lost to legal fees and fines.

Posted by Primis on 04/12/14 at 11:29 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Maybe Kronner’s slapshot to the face all those many moons ago…

Nah…nevermind.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/12/14 at 12:16 PM ET

perfection's avatar

I find it a little interesting that he apparently saw little risk in doing coke a mere week before the playoffs start. Obviously the leagues drug testing policy isn’t very stringant or intimidating. Knowing Buttman, part of me thinks it’s a business decision because they are afraid what they will find and want to continue marketing themselves as superior to the other major sports that are riddled with drug use (and athletes who grew up in poor inner cities. Let’s face it, hockey’s simply too costly to permeate those communities). My guess is hockey has a bunch of guys using all sorts of stuff for pain management, muscle enhancement, and good times. You’d usually expect this from a youngster though. Seems somehow much worse because it’s a veteran about to start a playoff run. What an idiot!

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/12/14 at 12:28 PM ET

Malone since June also has seven traffic violations and has an April 30 court date for driving with a suspended license.

It has been a difficult season for Malone, who has just five goals, 15 points in 57 games, has been demoted to a fourth line and has been a healthy scratch in the past three games.

He has one year left on his contract.

Wonder if Vinik has the patience of Mike Ilitch to see that this guy gets the help he needs.

Posted by SYF from Jackie Redmond's blue eyes on 04/12/14 at 01:07 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

I assume you’re referring to the NBA with the whole inner city thing?  Their drug testing program is even more of a joke. Players can only be tested four times per year. So when you get your fourth test in, say, march, the rest of the season is test free. You can literally do or take whatever you want.

So long as you, like, don’t get stopped by the police with cocaine in your possession.  That’s probably still a bad idea.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 04/12/14 at 01:50 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Added a statement from Bill Daly to the post.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/12/14 at 01:50 PM ET

perfection's avatar

I assume you’re referring to the NBA with the whole inner city thing?

not just NBA… I was actually referring to MLB, NFL and NBA who all draw at least some athletes from lower-class American inner cities (which having spent most of my life split between Detroit and Chicago and having seen at least Toronto’s “ghetto”... definitely not the same thing) whereas (and please correct me if I’m wrong), the NHL just doesn’t (and in case there’s confusion, I’m not saying the NHL or hockey people are inherently classist or racist or anything, merely the rink infrastructure, player equipment, and reputation/history of hockey makes it’s inner city reach difficult. I think with the rampant spread of youth hockey and successful NHL teams in places like southern Cali, this could change in the next generation or two).

And my comments in this regard were less about testing and more about a history of the NHL claiming moral superiority over the other big sports anytime there’s some drug scandal - whether steroids or weed or whatever. I know these claims of the league not having much of a drug problem came to the forefront when Derek Boogaard died, but even then it was implied the abuse was primarily of pain killers because these guys are such incredible warriors. There’s been rumblings of script amphetamines like Aderall or Ritalin being used in the locker rooms, but again, this is treated like coffee+ and dismissed as relatively uncommon anyway.

But the idea that there are party animals in the NHL using recreational drugs like pot or coke in the middle of the season is one the league simply does not want you to think. I’m relatively certain this will be spun into a lone addict with severe personal issues… which in fact it very well may be.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/12/14 at 02:29 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

I assume you’re referring to the NBA with the whole inner city thing?

You’re totally right about where the athletes come from.  Football, also, is starting to skew toward kids from wealthier families and even basketball has started in that direction with the team juggling at the youth level and how expensive it is to go the AAU route later.

I originally misunderstood the point I thought was about testing, but I (now) think you’re spot on about the NHL wanting it to appear their sport is clean.  How many times have they said steroids wouldn’t help in hockey?  That line is continually trotted out as if all roid users end up with physiques like the recently deceased Ultimate Warrior, completely ignoring that the way they work is to rebuild tissue faster so you can recover quicker when you injure something (and all weightlifting is, really, is purposefully injuring your muscles in a controlled manner so they build back stronger).

I heard a former baseball player on a podcast a few months ago talking about locker rooms in the 80s.  They’d have two coffee pots, decaf and regular.  The decaf was regular coffee.  The regular pot had amphetamines in the coffee.  That sort of thing had to be going on in hockey, too.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 04/12/14 at 02:43 PM ET

Luongo-is-my-hero's avatar

a lot of hockey players snort coke.  Used to always see Shane o Brian snorting at the roxie.  He wasn’t even trying to be inconspicuous.  Mark Messier used to do a ton of coke back in the day too.  It’s not as prevalent as it used to be during the 80s/90s but Im sure theres a lot more out there than the NHL would have you believe.  They aren’t too active when it comes to their substance abuse unless it makes the headlines.

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 04/12/14 at 03:47 PM ET