Report- Kane And Toews Asking For $12M Per Year

Filed in: NHL Teams, Chicago Blackhawks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: jonathan+toews, patrick+kane

Comments

Iggy_Rules's avatar

So we see Gaborik take less than market to stay with a winner while Toews/Kane go for maximum value. While it is true that Gaborik has had more years with a “big” contract I don’t really see why you would want to handcuff your team by eating a large portion of the salary allotment yourself. I could be wrong but I thought the most important thing was winning the cup…

If Kane and Toews both have AAV’s of $10m I cannot see Chicago remaining competitive in a year or two.

Posted by Iggy_Rules from Calgary, Canada on 06/26/14 at 10:02 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Also from McKenzie…

Many agents believe cap could be as high as $75M for 2015-16, continue to escalate rapidly. Double digit AAV for superstars may be new norm.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/26/14 at 10:04 AM ET

Also from McKenzie…

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/26/14 at 11:04 AM ET

Until CBA expires and we have another lockout and another cut in the cap.

Posted by George0211 on 06/26/14 at 10:05 AM ET

Wow.

Shit.

I guess when you’ve got two rings you might as well go for the money…

Posted by Garth on 06/26/14 at 10:05 AM ET

And now I officially hope that something catastrophic happens next year to negate the inevitable bump in the cap due to the new Canadian TV deal.  I would just love for the cap to stay not move a cent next year…

Posted by Garth on 06/26/14 at 10:06 AM ET

And now we know why Sharp is on the market.

Posted by Garth on 06/26/14 at 10:09 AM ET

And now we know why Sharp is on the market.

Posted by Garth on 06/26/14 at 11:09 AM ET

According to Bowman and Sharp’s agent, he is not.

Posted by George0211 on 06/26/14 at 10:11 AM ET

According to Bowman and Sharp’s agent, he is not.

Yeah, but according to Kane’s and Toews’ impending new contracts, he is or will definitely be very, very soon.

Posted by Garth on 06/26/14 at 10:17 AM ET

And Jeremy Jacobs shits his pants again.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 06/26/14 at 10:18 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

They’re anchoring $12m asks in so when they come in around or slightly under $10M everybody can sell it as a “hometown discount”

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/26/14 at 10:36 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

Why were players and fans locked out twice in recent memory again? Perhaps the current CBA should be seen as a countdown to the next lockout.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 06/26/14 at 10:41 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Posted by Garth on 06/26/14 at 11:17 AM ET

either him or their entire bottom 6.

Posted by Hootinani on 06/26/14 at 10:50 AM ET

I honestly don’t even think Kane is worth 10mi/year. toews is I suppose.

Posted by Pasha1277 on 06/26/14 at 10:55 AM ET

topshelf14's avatar

Toews and Kane or depth through your lineup?

Depth isn’t important in the playoffs. :/

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 06/26/14 at 10:59 AM ET

Iggy_Rules's avatar

I hadn’t considered the lockout angle. If there does end up being another that would be most unfortunate to the health of the game. In fact, it took months for me to get over the last one. If there is another I just might never get over it.

Posted by Iggy_Rules from Calgary, Canada on 06/26/14 at 11:17 AM ET

Iggy_Rules's avatar

And I don’t mean that as a threat. It’s just what I see happening, unfortunately.

Posted by Iggy_Rules from Calgary, Canada on 06/26/14 at 11:18 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Iggy_Rules from Calgary, Canada on 06/26/14 at 12:18 PM ET

You’re not alone.

Posted by Primis on 06/26/14 at 11:31 AM ET

Gut the bottom 6? It will gut the bottom 9. There going to end up with toews, kane, kesler, and a bunch of ahl lifers.

Posted by teldar on 06/26/14 at 12:27 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/26/14 at 11:36 AM ET

Exactly.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 06/26/14 at 12:29 PM ET

awould's avatar

$24MM locked into these two will gut their depth if the cap doesn’t rise high quickly. But I think JJ is right…. $10MM will be sold as some huge hometown discount. Won’t change the math though.

Posted by awould on 06/26/14 at 12:56 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

If a player like Callahan can get $6M per year, then I guess $12M for guys like Toews and Kane- you know, players with actual talent - sound about right.

Posted by Hank1974 on 06/26/14 at 01:02 PM ET