Kukla's Korner Hockey
by Paul on 11/25/13 at 10:14 AM ET
Johan Franzen scored the tiebreaking goal midway through the third period and Jonas Gustavsson made 21 saves to help the Red Wings improve to 10-1-1 versus the Sabres since 2003-04.
* Franzen has 4-4—8 in his past seven games after totaling 2-3—5 in his first 13 contests of the season.
* Gustavsson improved to 5-0-1 with a 2.35 goals-against average and .926 save percentage in seven appearances this season. That includes a 3-0-1 record with a 2.21 goals-against average and .932 save percentage in four road starts.
* The Red Wings are 7-3-1 on the road this season, tied for the second-most road victories in the League.
ZETTERBERG REACHES 700
Red Wings captain Henrik Zetterberg recorded the primary assist on Johan Franzen’s game-winner to pick up the 700th point of his NHL career (273-427—700 in 739 GP). He now ranks second in the League with 28 points (10-18—28) in 25 games this season, including 0-7—7 in his past five contests.
According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Zetterberg is the fifth-fastest Red Wings player and eighth-fastest active NHLer to reach the 700-point milestone:
FASTEST TO REACH 700 POINTS, RED WINGS HISTORY
1. Steve Yzerman: 519 games
2. Sergei Fedorov: 638 games
3. Gordie Howe: 673 games
4. Pavel Datsyuk: 706 games
5. Henrik Zetterberg: 739 games
FASTEST TO REACH 700 POINTS, ACTIVE NHL PLAYERS
1. Teemu Selanne: 541 games
2. Jaromir Jagr: 557 games
3. Alex Ovechkin: 579 games
4. Dany Heatley: 685 games
t-5. Pavel Datsyuk, Joe Thornton: 706 games
7. Daniel Alfredsson: 738 games
8. Henrik Zetterberg: 739 games
WARD, STAAL SPUR HURRICANES
The Hurricanes scored four unanswered goals to improve to 10-0-1 in their past 11 home games versus the Senators. They have outscored Ottawa 37-14 in that span, holding the Senators to one goal or fewer in nine of 11 contests.
* Cam Ward made 35 saves, including a paddle stop on Colin Greening, to pick up his first victory since Oct. 19. He has posted 30 or more saves in six of his 11 appearances this season, including 35 in each of his past two starts.
* Captain Eric Staal recorded 1-2—3 for his second multi-point game of the season and first three-point game since March 5. He has 3-5—8 during a six-game point streak, the longest by a Hurricanes player this season.
* Defenseman Justin Faulk tied career highs with two assists/points and a +3 rating.
* The Hurricanes improved to 10-3-2 in their past 15 games overall versus the Senators.
Senators captain Jason Spezza scored 67 seconds after the opening face-off, raising his career totals to 18-20—38 in 32 games versus the Hurricanes . . . Red Wings forward Daniel Alfredsson posted 1-1—2 and now has 43-43—86 in 91 career regular-season games against the Sabres, his highest goal total and second-highest point total versus any opponent . . . Sabres goaltender Ryan Miller made 31 saves (on 33 shots) and has a .936 save percentage in his last five starts . . . Hurricanes forward Jiri Tlusty skated in his 300th NHL game . . . The Senators played their 1,600th regular-season game and 800th road contest.
Be the first to comment.
Add a Comment
Please limit embedded image or media size to 575 pixels wide.
Most Recent Blog Posts
About Kukla's Korner Hockey
Paul Kukla founded Kukla’s Korner in 2005 and the site has since become the must-read site on the ‘net for all the latest happenings around the NHL.
From breaking news to in-depth stories around the league, KK Hockey is updated with fresh stories all day long and will bring you the latest news as quickly as possible.
Email Paul anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org