Mike Green Plans To Retire

from Tarik El-Bashir of The Athletic,

It’s over and out for Mike “Game Over” Green, the high-scoring defenseman who set records and electrified crowds in Washington during the Capitals’ “Rock the Red” rise.

Green told The Athletic, in an exclusive interview via phone from his home in suburban Calgary this week, that he intends to retire after a 15-year career that also made stops in Detroit and, briefly, Edmonton.

At 34 years old, Green is healthy and still has some hockey left in him. But he gained a new perspective on life during the NHL’s COVID-19 stoppage.

“Being an athlete isn’t the only part of who I am,” Green said. “I am a husband, father, son, brother, uncle. I’ve been very fortunate to turn my passion into my profession, but at this point in my life, I’m considering other things that I feel called to do.”

continued (paid)

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, Washington Capitals, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

I thought he retired after he left Washington.  Where did he play after that lol?

Posted by SevensForTed on 08/26/20 at 09:10 AM ET

The Meal's avatar

In his second season with the Red Wings, Green posted 14 goals and 22 assists in 72 games and earned an All-Star Game nod a year later.

How soon we forget.

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 08/26/20 at 10:55 AM ET

I thought he was really good his first 2-3 years in Detroit.

I mean, not as good as he was in like 2009, obviously, but still a solid NHLer and definitely Detroit’s best defenseman most of his time here. Injuries and age really sent him over the cliff fast, but up to that point he was still pretty solid. And I get the angst fans have about KH not being able to trade him back when he still had more value, but that’s not really Green’s fault either.

I think he was really under-appreciated here.

Posted by Sven22 from Grand Rapids on 08/26/20 at 10:57 AM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

He actually planned to retire 3 years ago….but the pen to sign the paperwork went between his legs and down the ice, and he’s just now caught up with the pen…... shut eye

Posted by Down River Dan on 08/26/20 at 12:30 PM ET

I honestly am a big mike green fan.  Injury got the best of him.

Posted by SevensForTed on 08/26/20 at 06:02 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

I thought he was really good his first 2-3 years in Detroit.

As stated above injuries slowed him down.

Posted by bigfrog on 08/26/20 at 07:37 PM ET