Jonathan Drouin Suspended By The Tampa Bay Lightning

TAMPA BAY – Tampa Bay Lightning forward Jonathan Drouin has been suspended indefinitely without pay by the team after his failure to report for tonight’s game between the Syracuse Crunch and the Toronto Marlies, vice president and general manager Steve Yzerman announced this evening. The team will make no further comment at this time.

added 7:05pm,

added 7:26pm, below, a statement from Drouin's agent...

Filed in: NHL Teams, Tampa Bay Lightning, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: jonathan+drouin

Comments

Paul's avatar

Reports state he was at the morning skate.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/20/16 at 07:03 PM ET

Primis's avatar

LOL, if I were Yzerman now I’d bury him in Syracuse and refuse to trade him and &*() both him and his agent… because the stupid kid just hurt his own trade value (and thus what TB could get for him).

The kid has this year *AND* next he’s still obligated under contract, and if he sits out next year in protest TB could easily petition to add yet another year to his contract.

Posted by Primis on 01/20/16 at 07:55 PM ET

Primis's avatar

If I was a coach I’d be really excited to get a player with this caliber character.
/sarcasm
You know who else has a ton of skill and shitty character?
Alexander Semin.
He’s doing outstanding btw.
//moresarcasm.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/20/16 at 07:57 PM ET

Walsh doesn’t seem to understand/care that trying to bargain through the media is severely hurting his client’s value.

There are now so many red flags here…

Posted by Primis on 01/20/16 at 08:01 PM ET

Although I agree this was a bad move by Drouin, you have to wonder if he is just listening to his agents advice here.  Of course this will stick with the kid forever, but he is still just a young kid.  I would hope that Steve doesn’t try and teach the kid a lesson by refusing to deal him.  At this point, it is best for both sides to completely divorce themselves from each other and move on.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 01/20/16 at 08:16 PM ET

Posted by RyanVM on 01/20/16 at 09:43 PM ET

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 01/20/16 at 08:16 PM ET

You also have to wonder if there is more to the story than what we see in the media. Why is there such animosity here? You throw in Stamkos situation and rumors, and it does make you wonder that this may not be just the player.

But I do have to agree that a young player that has no numbers to back him up, should be keeping his mouth shut.

Posted by George0211 on 01/21/16 at 07:44 AM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Agreed on both accounts.
I think he’s getting terrible advice from his agent and I also wonder how two-sided this story is.
Yzerman has now had three instances where players have taken issue with the organization, Marty St.Louis, Stamkos and now Drouin.
So maybe there is more to this story.

All told, Drouin needs to fire his agent and put in the work.
I think he has amazing potential but I think he was too successful too soon.
At the time of being drafted 3rd overall, he was 18 months removed from being a AAA midget player.
You don’t go from Midget to NHL podium in less than 3 years without having some serious skill.
But I’d guess he rode his natural talent during his swift ascent so he’s not used to having to put in the hard work necessary to be an NHL success.

Posted by Hank1974 on 01/21/16 at 08:37 AM ET