Is Bob Cole In Sportsnet’s Plans?

from Sean Fitz-Gerald of the National Post,

“You know? The good Lord has been a friend of mine; he’s looked after me up to this point, and I still talk to Him fairly often — and I guess it’s up to Him,” he said. “It’s not up to me. It’s up to a lot of people, really.”

Cole was speaking with host Andi Petrillo in an interview aired on the CBC’s website, as the ground around the flagship hockey program continued to shift. Starting next season, a new organization will be in charge of Hockey Night, and new faces will appear.

“I’d like to keep going,” Cole told Petrillo. “I feel good. I love the game. I still get passionate. I still get butterflies. If any of that changed, I’d think about packing it in. But maybe they’ll get rid of me before I get rid of myself.”

read on

added 1:53pm, Added the CBC Hockey Hangout with Bob Cole, watch/listen below...

Filed in: NHL Media, Hockey Broadcasting, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: bob+cole, sportsnet

Comments

Please, yes. And gimme some Chris Cuthbert too, please.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 03/13/14 at 12:26 PM ET

I would prefer the sounds of the arena.

Posted by Garth on 03/13/14 at 12:39 PM ET

My first hockey memories are listening in the late 80s to Cole and Neale on Hockey Night in Canada. First ever memory of hockey. Calgary playing Edmonton, circa 1988.

Also engrained in my mind is listening to Bruce Martyn on WJR and Dave Strader on WKBD.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 03/13/14 at 12:53 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Added the CBC Hockey Hangout with Bob Cole to the post.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/13/14 at 12:54 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Bob has lost a step, but it’s still nice to hear him calling games. The pairing of he and Harry Neal was about as good as it gets in my book.

Classiest move of all time:

Ken Kal stepping aside for a period in game four of the 96/97 finals to let Bruce Martyn call some of the game ( as he had retired the previous season ) and itsBruce Martyn’s call of the Darren McCarty goal that still makes me smile every time I hear it.

Posted by Down River Dan on 03/13/14 at 01:53 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Bob Cole maybe used to be good, but…. time has not been kind to his calls of the game.  I understand nostalgia and all but, at certain point you have to understand when you’re slipping.

To be blunt, I don’t think Bob realizes hes slipping, and that more than anything is the problem.  He still thinks he’s bringing his “A” game.

Posted by Primis on 03/13/14 at 01:59 PM ET

Cole and Neale were a classic hockey pairing. I always loved Gary Thorne as well.

In my book the voice/charisma/chemistry is worth far more than a perfect call. Jim Hughson is smooth. But I can’t stand to listen to him.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 03/13/14 at 05:09 PM ET

Fat Lady's avatar

Coley still calls a game the way he did on when I was 7 with the same excitement and enthusiasm in his voice. You can hear his love his passion for the game without fail nothing forced nothing phony just an old school call of the game. Hearing him on Hockey Night is one of the things I most look forward to on Saturday nights. He is the master and it brought a tear to my eye to hear he was leaving. Feels like a peace of my life falling away.

Posted by Fat Lady from U.S.A. Pittsfield, Ma. on 04/13/14 at 10:00 AM ET