Happy Thanksgiving America

Hope you are able to enjoy today the way you want and if spending time with family and friends, enjoy the moments and make them lasting memories.

Me? I am taking this day to take a break and relax at home.

I was invited to my cousin's home, but passed to spend some time doing NOTHING.

See you Friday morning, unless of course news of a can't wait variety pops up.

Filed in: KK Website Business, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Happy Thanksgiving Paul, and all y’all Americans.

Go Lions!

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 11/28/19 at 09:25 AM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Happy Thanksgiving Paul, and all who visit here.

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 11/28/19 at 09:52 AM ET

KK is one of the things I am thankful for.
Happy Thanksgiving to this wonderful community.

Posted by Cubanpuckstoppr on 11/28/19 at 10:30 AM ET

Outstanding job on KK Paul, much appreciated by all.

Best to you and yours.

Posted by rickytarr on 11/28/19 at 11:11 AM ET

Steeb's avatar

Good on ya, Paul! NOTHING is a big part of my plan also! My annual Thanksgiving Pizza & MST3K Turkey Day Marathon! Enjoy your day, all!

Posted by Steeb on 11/28/19 at 11:23 AM ET

shazam88's avatar

A big Happy Thanksgiving to you, Paul and all other members

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 11/28/19 at 11:53 AM ET

Many thanks to Paul, Kate, and the rest of the 19!
You make this era of darkness bearable.
Happy Thanksgiving.

Posted by Ventr on 11/28/19 at 12:26 PM ET

On a personal note:

I’ve held off on announcing of the passing of my Dad on November 13th, 2019 because I wanted some time to grieve.  Dad was 77 when he passed.  He was hospitalized after he fell on the patio in the backyard and hit the back of his head to a degree that he had a four-inch hematoma on the back of his head.  Fearing the worst, we called 911 and he immediately was placed in ICU.  This was October 29th.  For three weeks, we visited him so much that we wanted to let him know, in his diminishing conscious state of mind and deteriorating condition, that we as a family will be saying our Rosaries and Divine Mercy for him.  He was slipping in and out of consciousness, but we really believe he could hear us.

The initial MRI revealed no swelling inside his head, but as a 18 year survivor of a quadruple bypass surgery, his regular cardiologist warned the cardiovascular hospitalist that any - ANY - surgery performed on him (even an angiogram) is dangerous and he will expire on the surgical table.  Our family heeded Dad’s personal cardiologist (and a concurring personal MD) and we as a family elected to DNR - “do not resuscitate.”  No CPR.  No chest compressions.  No respiratory rescues.  Nothing, just comfort care.  Days later, they found an inoperable swelling in his head where the contusion was located.

Before he passed into unconsciousness, Mom told her three kids (my younger brother and sister and me) to give thanks, ask Dad for forgiveness, and say goodbye for the last time.  I did that twice with him and man, that was the hardest thing ever…until I gave the eulogy.  On the evening of November 12th, after all the DNR paperwork was done, we watched the ICU staff gently and with tender mercy remove all of the ventilator tubes out of him.  All of the life support medicines as well as the nasogastric feeding tube were also removed.  He was given a healthy dose of morphine so he can pass without feeling any pain.  I said goodbye to Dad again and hugged him in his fading warmth one last time.  The doctors told us it would take anywhere from two hours to five hours for him to pass.

On a beautiful and sunny Las Vegas morning, Dad lasted 11.5 hours to make sure he passed away on November 13th because it meant so much to Mom.  In 2015, her own mother also passed on November 13th as well and he held out for her.  Seeing Dad in his final seconds was devastating as we watched his respiratory rate report APN or apnea.  He was gone at 9:34 am, November 13th.

This will be the first Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years without him.  But we have so much to be thankful for even in our grieving.  We are currently doing the Forty Days of Mourning as a Roman Catholic family and it chokes us up sometimes, but we know Dad’s in a far better place, without any pain, and resting peacefully.

So first of all, THANKS to God for helping me find my way to Paul Kukla and CMC Bill Houlihan for this wonderful outlet for us crazy Red Wings fans.  I am unbelievably grateful for all of the respite from these trying times and even though some of comments here are questionable, well, we all want the Red Wings to win.

THANKS to the wonderful and compassionate staff at Spring Valley Hospital for every moment of care y’all gave my Dad in his passing.  It will not be forgotten.

And THANKS to The 19 - all 19 of you for the years of incredible virtual and real life camaraderie (I know that so many of you have actually met up at the games at the Joe and now the LCA…especially for the incredible Herm To Hockeytown event).  I hope to meet up with y’all sometime more often in the future.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone here at The Empire!

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 11/28/19 at 04:20 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Thoughts are with you SYF and just remember, he is at peace and watching over you and your family.

Remember the good times and carry out his work.

My thoughts today are also with George Malik, this will be his first holiday without the mother he so adored.

One day we will all be put to rest and see the real glory of our creator.

Thanks for all the other comments too, they are much appreciated and in this very tough year for our team, this helps me carry on.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/28/19 at 04:48 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Hope every one of you had an amazing day full of delicious food and great times with family!

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 11/28/19 at 11:15 PM ET