Evening Line

“I wasn’t happy about it last night. You can say a million words about getting better but coach says I’m not playing, so I’m not playing.

“I’m not happy about it. I just want to play every game.

“I’m going to play my game. I’m not going to change but maybe play better without the puck, or forecheck more, but I love playing with the puck. I really don’t like skating all the time, and forechecking, and hitting somebody every shift. I don’t think it’s my game.”

-Nail Yakupov of the Edmonton Oilers on being a healthy scratch last night.  More from Joanne Ireland of the Edmonton Journal.

added 9:33am 10/14/13, Watch Dallas Eakins explain the benching and Yakupov talks too.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Edmonton Oilers, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: nail+yakupov

Comments

Sooooo, I think he pretty much just explained why he’s not going to be playing every game.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 10/13/13 at 08:17 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Of all the problems and problem players that team has, he’s the one Eakins decides to pick on?  Seriously?

Yeah, EDM’s going to continue to be a trainwreck for the forseeable future.

Posted by Primis on 10/14/13 at 12:56 AM ET

Primis's avatar

And seriously…. EDM’s drafted high-skill guys for years in the Top 3 and now Eakins walks in and wants them all to hit and become the Blues, Leafs, or Ducks or something?

Talk about delusional…

Posted by Primis on 10/14/13 at 12:57 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

Clanking a crystal wine glass as if it were a pewter beer stein is hardly an improvement plan. If all goes as the coach wants, he will lead the league in missing players. If he wants bruisers, he should get the GM to trade some of his one dimensional offensive skill players for some bruisers. You’d have to be daft to get a Great Dane and expect it to be a lapdog or vice versa.

There’s way too many metaphors for why this is stupid.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 10/14/13 at 10:30 AM ET

Edmonton and Florida need to talk, Oilers need D and Panthers need goal scorers. Panthers have several young good D, Oilers have several young good scorers and both teams need more wins. Pick up the phone before both teams are out of the playoffs. Kulikov for Yakupov.

Posted by Puckbubba on 10/14/13 at 10:37 AM ET

You’re not really pretending that’s what Eakins wants, are you?

Posted by Garth on 10/15/13 at 12:07 PM ET