Evening Line

"My (L.A.) Kings have won the Stanley Cup twice in the past three years and felt like I got hit by a car after every one of them. I told (NHL Commissioner) Gary Bettman, this is the only sport where, at the end of the game, the fans are more exhausted than the players. So, to me, keep doing what you're doing with hockey."

-Al Micheals of NBC Sports talking to reporters during the Television Critics Association summer press tour.  More from Michaels by Bill Brioux at the CP via Yahoo.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Los Angeles Kings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: al+michaels

Comments

shazam88's avatar

Al’s a good guy, not one of those fair-weather Hollywood Kings fans. Have seen him waiting in line to buy a hot dog at Staples like the rest of us schmoes, even in times of mediocrity, waiting for another miracle that he could believe in.

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 07/15/14 at 06:53 PM ET

He’s absolutely right. The playoffs are such a great atmosphere. Also, compare the last minute of a hockey game with a team having a one goal league vs that of a basketball game or World Cup match with similar circumstances. What a great sport.

Posted by weswolverine on 07/15/14 at 07:01 PM ET

harken23's avatar

I hope Al also mentioned that he was much less exhausted after three lockouts during Bettman’s tenure…

Posted by harken23 on 07/15/14 at 08:07 PM ET

awould's avatar

or World Cup match with similar circumstances.

You missed the USA/Portugal game. I saw at least two other games with game changing goals in the extra time. The final minute of soccer in a 1 goal game can be really exciting.

I do agree, though, that nothing compares to hockey.

Baseball and NBA basketball could disappear and I’d be happy.

Posted by awould on 07/15/14 at 08:51 PM ET

The final minute of soccer in a 1 goal game can be really exciting.

I was thinking the final when the German player just sat there on the ground like an idiot trying to waste the final minute while Messi was on the free kick. It was at that moment when I realized that even in the Final game of the World Cup, I still hated soccer.

Posted by weswolverine on 07/15/14 at 09:48 PM ET

harken23's avatar

Not to turn this into a football discussion group, but the time on the field is kept by the head referee, and he stops his watch when there’s any kind of stoppage on the field. So while the German player was sitting there, no time was going to go off the clock, so it had no bearing on the outcome of the match.

Posted by harken23 on 07/15/14 at 09:51 PM ET