Eddie Olczyk Would Like To Coach Again

from Ron Cook of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette,

That’s why it’s possible — perhaps even likely — that Olczyk will coach again. He was fired in December 2005 after a season-and-change with the Penguins, a time when he was young, overmatched and had little support from the organization.

It would have to be the right opportunity for Olczyk, of course. He has a great television gig, two actually. He works the NBC telecasts with Mike “Doc” Emrick — the best national play-by-play man in any sport — and does commentary for the Chicago Blackhawks with legendary local broadcaster Pat Foley. “He’s to Chicago what Mike Lange is to Pittsburgh,” Olcyzk said. “I have been so lucky.”

So why even consider giving it all up?

“I still have a burning desire to teach,” Olczyk said. “I have a passion to be a part of the wins and losses. I think I would like to fulfill that emptiness. At the end of the day, I’m a coach by trade who happens to have a microphone.”

Filed in: NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: eddie+olczyk

Comments

WolfKeeper's avatar

As long as it’s in the Eastern Conference.

Posted by WolfKeeper on 02/12/14 at 08:51 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

Don’t worry, Edzo, I’m sure Charles Wang will be looking for someone to make his team even worse in the near future.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 02/12/14 at 09:56 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

Anything that gets him off tv.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 02/12/14 at 10:06 AM ET

Mike Emrick isn’t even the best hockey announcer. Cole and Cuthbert are both better, in my opinion. I can remember some of my first experiences watching hockey in the late 80s and early 90s listening and the thing I remember most is the sound of the announcers’ voices. The other voice - and favorite - is Dave Strader, again probably because it reminds me of watching games when I was young.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 02/12/14 at 10:52 AM ET

TEMO's avatar

I hear the KHL is always looking for coaches.

Posted by TEMO from LANSING, MICHIGAN, U.S.A. on 02/12/14 at 10:53 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

Please god yes. Put Edzo behind a bench somewhere, anywhere. Then we will only occasionally have to endure him when the Douche Canoe sticks a mic in his face to ask some inane question.

I hear Edmonton is a remote location. Send him there. (Better yet, the KHL)

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 02/12/14 at 12:13 PM ET

YzermanZetterberg's avatar

Anything that gets him off tv.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 02/12/14 at 09:06 AM ET

AMEN

Posted by YzermanZetterberg on 02/12/14 at 12:14 PM ET

Primis's avatar

America wants Olczyk behind a bench.  Preferably someplace we never have to hear from him again, ever.

Posted by Primis on 02/12/14 at 02:28 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

I hear the KHL is always looking for coaches.
Posted by TEMO from LANSING, MICHIGAN, U.S.A. on 02/12/14 at 09:53 AM ET

I’m sure there is a bar league in the UK that would love the publicity, and might actually benefit from his “hockey knowledge”

And zero TV coverage, so everyone wins.

Posted by Hootinani on 02/12/14 at 03:50 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

He can take McGuire with him. I wonder if a team he manages will use “Subtle Interference”?

Posted by bigfrog on 02/12/14 at 10:29 PM ET