Corey Tropp charges Ed Jovanovski, who loses his mind, as do the announcers

This is one of those incidents where you watch a player do something stupid and wonder, "What the hell are you thinking?" and then you listen to the announcers and go, "Oh, so that's a player's thought process...Dear Gord, they're lunkheads."

Cue all of the above from this clip of Florida Panthers defenseman Ed Jovanovski going after Columbus Blue Jackets forward Corey Tropp-who was out of his mind in trying to charge Jovanovski's face--with a dim retaliatory cheap shot (he received 5 and a game for his endeavors), then explained in equally dim fashion by the Blue Jackets' announcers, per Pro Hockey Talk's James O'Brien:

Florida actually scored a shorthanded goal whlie killing off the 5-minute major, but they lost 3-1 to Columbus.

Filed in: | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: columbus+blue+jackets, ed+jovanovski, florida+panthers

Comments

Yes, Jovo went a bit overboard, but the original hit Tropp put on Jovanovski is the exact type of play that needs to be called charging consistently and taken out of the game.  Full speed bee line from twenty feet away and plastering a guy into the boards.  Players are too fast and too big for that type of hit to be allowed.

From the rulebook:  Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A “charge” may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice.

This is exactly what Tropp did, and I don’t blame Jovanovski for being so pissed.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 04/12/14 at 11:02 PM ET

SK77's avatar

then explained in equally dim fashion by the Blue Jackets’ announcers, per Pro Hockey Talk’s James O’Brien:

Sorry, I don’t follow what it is about the BJ’s announcers you’re calling to attention here. They’re pretty unemotional and lukewarm on the whole thing considering it was one of their players getting run cheaply. How would you prefer they call / handle the play by play on that one?

Posted by SK77 on 04/12/14 at 11:03 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

The worst part of the Tropp hit is that it’s going to be legal on Wednesday.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 04/12/14 at 11:04 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Ahh, gotcha, so charging is the issue here. I didn’t really see from how far out Tropp started and nowadays I’m busy looking for elbows and jumping shoulders to the face. I also saw how quick and fast Jovo bounced back from that hit and just thought it was a good hard hit at first from that behind the glass camera—once again not seeing from how far out Tropp did or did not start.

Posted by SK77 on 04/12/14 at 11:06 PM ET

Uh, what’s the crazy thing the announcers said?

Posted by Garth on 04/12/14 at 11:07 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

To me the announcers’ comments as to the fact that the charge was good and that the crap afterward is standard operating procedure—just good hockey, boys bein’ boys—is the baffling part.

Um, intent to injure meets intent to injure, with little respect shown either way? Old Time Hockey, Eddie Shore, Put on the Foil? Really?

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 04/12/14 at 11:14 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

It’s funny the first thing that I thought of when seeing this play, was the same as you Valek. It sure seemed to be a bit of a charge on the initial hit?

Not defending a shot to the back of a guys head who is already down, but seriously, I cannot remember the last charging call I witnessed in a game. Heaven forbid you touch a guy with your stick, but feel free to take 3,4,5 strides and explode on a guy???

Just showing my age I guess , because I think it’s been 20 years or more since I saw a traveling call in the NBA also.

Posted by Down River Dan on 04/12/14 at 11:37 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I’d rather that than 10 PPs a game

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/12/14 at 11:38 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Dan, I’ve been bitching about that for years.  Seems every highlight I see on ESPN is just a guy sprinting down the court carrying the ball.

And no I really don’t mind guys pushing the edge and sorting it out themselves.  I enjoyed The Blood Game.  I like watching the imposition of wills.  Not the playground teacher putting people on timeout

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/12/14 at 11:41 PM ET

perfection's avatar

Yeah that was a pretty flagrant charge. You see it best in the first real time shot. He comes a hell of a long way to make that hit. I don’t really blame Jovo for his reaction either.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/12/14 at 11:42 PM ET

Slumpy's avatar

JOVACOP!

Candy arses don’t come out of Windsor, Ontario.

Not sure if that game was in Columbus but I’m sure some fan in Ohia blew off a firework after that game since owning a cannon is frowned upon.

Posted by Slumpy from Detroit on 04/13/14 at 05:14 AM ET

Maybe Jovanovski gets a major and game for retaliation, but if the refs had any clue at all, Tropp is already out of the game for that charge. That’s pure intent to injure. I’ve even seen them expel a player for a game for less of a charge than that.

I would say the thing I hate most about the NHL is the continuously changing standards of officiating and it makes me want to stop watching hockey.

Posted by teldar on 04/13/14 at 06:17 AM ET

Also, doesn’t surprise me about Tropp. He was a goon who tried to kill someone with his stick while he was at MSU. So…

Posted by teldar on 04/13/14 at 06:23 AM ET

I thought it was charging when I saw it but as a Panthers fan I was glad Jovo was thrown out of game, it gave Panthers a better chance to win. This guy needs to retire. That said there should have been a charging penalty and he had a right to be mad but him leaving game was good now if they would only suspend him for a year Panthers might be better next season.

Posted by Puckbubba on 04/13/14 at 02:07 PM ET

LivinLaVidaLockout's avatar

Posted by teldar on 04/13/14 at 07:23 AM ET

Yep, Steven Kampfer at UM. *#$%@& Tropp.

Posted by LivinLaVidaLockout on 04/13/14 at 05:20 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I hate Jeff Rimer.  How someone could be calling games for as long as he has and still be so bad is a living mystery.  Someone with a hole in their head could take the time to learn the rules and turn down the homer rhetoric, but not Rimer.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/14/14 at 12:08 PM ET