CBA Deal May Be Coming

from Dan Oldfield at CBC,

Here’s my prediction: an NHL deal is in the offing.

We've heard that the No. 2 guys in the NHL and the NHLPA, Bill Daly and Steve Fehr, held a "marathon" bargaining session this weekend. We also learned there are plans to bring the parties together for more formal talks this week. What does that mean?

I’ll be bold here and say it means a deal is inevitable.

One can only believe that a marathon session (with several breaks) means that Daly and Fehr had something to talk about and they were clearly checking compass directions with other key players. More than that, there obviously is reason to return to the table. They would not be doing this merely to restate positions already well known to each other.

This is how negotiations usually work. Small meetings, off the record and out of the public’s glare, allow real discussion to take place and real solutions to be canvassed.

continued

Filed in: NHL Talk, NHLPA, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Wow, Paul, the headline on this almost made me stand up and cheer in my cubicle at work! Might wanna change it to something a little less definitive?

Posted by dzuunmod on 11/05/12 at 03:25 PM ET

+1, I almost had a heart attack

Posted by Pulsar93 on 11/05/12 at 03:54 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

Posted by dzuunmod on 11/05/12 at 02:25 PM ET

I wasn’t at the same stage, but I agree that it is a bit misleading and made my heart skip a beat.

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 11/05/12 at 03:54 PM ET

jayskate's avatar

agreed

Posted by jayskate from Newfoundland, Canada on 11/05/12 at 04:01 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Sorry folks but I was trying to reflect what the author was saying.

But have modified it a bit not to cause panic.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/05/12 at 04:12 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/05/12 at 03:12 PM ET

Thanks, Paul. I hope, at least, that you got a good chuckle out of our reactions (I know I did).

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 11/05/12 at 04:14 PM ET

CBA Deal May Be Coming

- just don’t hold your breathe.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 11/05/12 at 04:28 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

After all the false starts and dashed hopes, we deserve something positive and concrete at this point, don’t we?

Don’t we??

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 11/05/12 at 04:46 PM ET

we deserve something positive and concrete at this point, don’t we?

I have it on good authority that Christmas is still coming on December 25th.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 11/05/12 at 04:47 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

I have it on good authority that Christmas is still coming on December 25th.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 11/05/12 at 03:47 PM ET

Not so fast, rumors abound that Bettman and the owners have cancelled Christmas, too.

Even the Grinch is on the players side now.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 11/05/12 at 05:23 PM ET

Funny, I always thought that the Whoos in Whoville were singing “Pavel Bure” as they gathered around the Christmas tree in the town square. Still have no idea what they hell they are saying.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 11/05/12 at 05:26 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

I have it on good authority that Christmas is still coming on December 25th.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 11/05/12 at 03:47 PM ET

Is your “good authority” ChristmassInsiderr?  Because that guy is a total hack and full of sh!t.

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 11/05/12 at 05:26 PM ET

I know a Mayan Calendar maker and he said it was an E5 that Christmas was going to be on 12/25 this year. The only thing that gives me pause is that all of the calendars he sold me end on November 30th.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 11/05/12 at 05:41 PM ET

TKShreve's avatar

Sorry folks, but I’m pretty jaded at this point as a long time fan. Save these lock outs for the NBA prima donnas and such.

And bet you azz that Bettman, the owners and the players alike will be right back to preaching how this sport is all about the fans, and they owe everything to the fans….. and blah blah blah.

Guess what…... it apparently is not all about the fans. I’ll still watch the Wings from my couch, but bet your lucky stars I won’t be purchasing tix let alone a new hat. My patience was worn thin the first time. This time I have to take it personally.

Posted by TKShreve from East Uptown on 11/05/12 at 06:03 PM ET

I’m not holding my breath.  But I am watching the Subway Series.  These kids are good.  Very entertaining.

Posted by 13 user names on 11/05/12 at 10:47 PM ET

DrewBehr's avatar

I obviously want a deal to get done. However, if they close on a deal THIS soon after canceling the Winter Classic, I will still be furious.

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 11/05/12 at 11:45 PM ET