Andreas Athanasiou Signing Is Official With The LA Kings

LOS ANGELES (Dec. 29, 2020) – The LA Kings signed forward Andreas Athanasiou to a one-year contract worth $1.2 million, according to Vice President and General Manager Rob Blake.

Athanasiou, a 6-2, 190-pound native of Woodbridge, Ontario, split last season between the Detroit Red Wings and Edmonton Oilers. The 26-year-old forward started the season with the Red Wings, posting 24 points (10-14=24) in 46 games. He was traded at the deadline to the Oilers where he posted two points (1-1=2) in nine games before the season was cut short. He went scoreless in four games with Edmonton during the postseason.

Originally selected in the fourth round (110th overall) in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft by the Red Wings, Athanasiou is entering his sixth season in the NHL, having appeared in 303 regular-season games posting 156 points (84-72=156). During the 2018-19 season he posted a career-high 30 goals and 54 points, second on the Red Wings in both categories. He has also appeared in nine postseason games, posting one point (1-0=1).

Filed in: NHL Teams, Los Angeles Kings, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

WingedRider's avatar

Surprised he got 1.2M for 56 Games.  What a waste of Talent. LA should motive him to screw more

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 12/29/20 at 05:21 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

At least now he’ll get to play for a decent coach amiriiiight?!

Posted by TreKronor on 12/29/20 at 06:47 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

LA is a good spot for him to play middle 6, potentially top 6 minutes. Forward depth lacks something fierce, as a couple projections I saw have Frk on the 2nd line.

It IS funny to stroll along on social media and see fans of other teams lament their GM for not grabbing AA, that pRoVeN 30 goal scorer, for that cheap. Maybe something changes; maybe the wait for a contract spooks him into improving his game.

Posted by ilovehomers on 12/29/20 at 07:16 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

For a laugh please see:

Posted by ilovehomers on 12/29/20 at 07:25 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

That’s a good reminder that fans of ALL franchises can be dilusional.

Posted by TreKronor on 12/29/20 at 07:32 PM ET

I’ve never cared for the Kings but would be happy
to see AA (re)establish himself there as a consistent 20-goal scorer.

As unlikely as it is he’ll ever become a consistent, reliable two-way player,
I don’t get the criticism I’ve seen some places that he only has one move,
or has no offensive sense, or has a bad shot, etc. AA is one player whose hands can keep up with his feet and he’s got enough moves at full speed to beat good goalies throughout the league. He has a sneaky, deceptive shot. He and his agent have driven hard bargains and I’m sure that’s alienated some around the league but he basically ran into a flat cap world like many other established players. If he washes out of LA I’ll be closer to concluding the player is the problem and his offensive talent might not be worth it. I’d take AA over Duclair - to me the upside is still higher and Duclair is even streakier. But really I hope things work out for both players - it’s more fun when a guy finds the right situation and steps up to meet the challenge.

Posted by lefty.30 on 12/29/20 at 09:26 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

ohhh the Kings.  I thought he signed with Las Vegas.  The Kings eh, hmm interesting. I’m not sure what to think there, top 6 minutes to be had I guess, but would’ve been better for him to go to a team with more talent, I guess its telling that no team out there with talent gave him a good enough offer.

Did Holland/Edmonton put an offer out there for him? I know they opted not to tender him, but I though they did make him an offer.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 12/29/20 at 11:14 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

At least now he’ll get to play for a decent coach amiriiiight?!

Posted by TreKronor on 12/29/20 at 06:47 PM ET

“At least he will play for a Decent Coach. “

YES 100%,,,, ANY coach Anywhere not named Blashill is better!!

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 12/30/20 at 12:02 AM ET