Afternoon Lines

via Wes Walz tweets,

listening to self proclaimed "hockey experts" call MIke Rupp a goon is wrong! MR never susp EVER and has been honest player his whole career

Tough play with Osh last night,love him as a player BUT don't forget 2 weeks ago when Blues wanted to "send a message" to Wild #livebysword

Moral of the story....play hard ALWAYS and be a TOUGH team to play against but do so....quietly. #headsupwhenheadingintoforest

via Jeremy Rutherford tweets,

Hitch: “The comments by Wes Walz, knowing the (Wild) coaching staff the way I do, I don’t believe they would condone those comments.

Hitch cont'd: "... and quite frankly with a player getting hurt like that, they’re just disgusting."

If you missed the hit from Rupp on Oshie, watch it here...

Filed in: NHL Teams, Minnesota Wild, St. Louis Blues, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: ken+hitchcock, wes+walz

Comments

awould's avatar

I don’t know if Rupp is a goon but that was a goonish hit. Expect Rupp will miss a playoff game or three.

Posted by awould on 04/11/14 at 12:19 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

that was a goonish hit. Expect Rupp will miss a playoff game or three.

how was that a goonish hit?  Is it goonish just because Oshie got hurt? The hit was clean. Oshie skated right into Rupp. Makes no sense why Rupp was thrown out the game and even less if he gets suspended for it.

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 04/11/14 at 12:42 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 04/11/14 at 12:42 PM ET

It was shoulder on head, period, that’s what makes it a goonish hit. Rupp is looking right at him the whole time. I’d rather see guys stick there arms out there and push the other guy then curl up their arm and use their shoulder as a battering ram through the other guys head, which is what Rupp did.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 04/11/14 at 12:47 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 04/11/14 at 12:47 PM ET

true, that contact was made to the head, it does not appear to be targeted. Judging the speed they were moving and body postitions, head contact was incidental, so that is why I don’t see it as goonish.

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 04/11/14 at 12:55 PM ET

topshelf14's avatar

How about hockey 101, don’t turn into the center of the ice with your head down! Rupp delivered a blow to the head but there was nothing he could of done differently if he wants to remain in the NHL.

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 04/11/14 at 12:58 PM ET

awould's avatar

it does not appear to be targeted.

Reasonable people may disagree, i guess. I see it as, judging by the speed and body positions, head contact was inevitable, and that is why I see it as targeting and, therefore, goonish.

Ahhh, the blame-the-victim defense. Sure, Oshie should’ve had his head up, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t a dirty and avoidable hit to his head.

Posted by awould on 04/11/14 at 01:03 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 04/11/14 at 12:55 PM ET

No head contact is incidental, it always leaves the person injured in some form, whether it’s a diagnosed concussion or not. Sorry, I’ve suffered enough head injuries playing hockey and soccer over my 30 years of playing each sport that his is a sensitive area for me.

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 04/11/14 at 12:58 PM ET

I hate the argument of don’t skate with your head down. Just because someone has their head down doesn’t give any checking player the right to blast through someone’s head. And yes, he did have an option by doing a HIP CHECK, you know, that lost art form of what checking in open ice used to be until Scott Stevens came along and ended peoples careers with shots like the one Rupp just did.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 04/11/14 at 01:03 PM ET

@ SnLO

That comment sounds a little immature to be honest. If you watch the video closely the shoulder is raised intentionally and hits the head, period. Was the hit malicious? No. Is Rupp a goon? No. Was this a clean hit? Absolutely not. I would expect a suspension.

Posted by Pasha1277 on 04/11/14 at 01:07 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

Posted by Pasha1277 on 04/11/14 at 01:07 PM ET

well I’m glad you’re being honest, i would hate it if you were lying about your opinion. I appreciate that at least PhillyD reasonably addressed my question, despite his opinion differing from mine.

I did watch the video closely before commenting, thank you. I see where Rupp braces for the impact, which appears to be the raising of the shoulder. I also see where Oshie is in a natural skating position where he is bent at the waist and trying to cut into the middle between the two opposition players. 4 inches to the left and Rupp has a shoulder to shoulder collision with Oshie. Instead it’s to the chin and chest of Oshie.

i think it’s unfortunate Oshie got hurt, but we disagree on this one folks.  I guess I’m an old school Neanderthal. And you’re probably correct about the suspension.

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 04/11/14 at 01:24 PM ET

I think overall the league just wants to get a way from head injuries, so they’re going to suspend him either way, whether it was clean or not.

Posted by Pasha1277 on 04/11/14 at 01:41 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

NewfieWing provided some perspective gave me that duh moment. Sometimes I just have to things put a certain way.

It is no different than getting a high-sticking call when it was clearly accidental. You are responsible for where you make contact
Posted by NewfieWing on 04/11/14 at 01:17 PM ET

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 04/11/14 at 02:08 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Posted by NewfieWing on 04/11/14 at 01:17 PM ET

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 04/11/14 at 02:08 PM ET

Definitely makes sense to me when you put it that way.

Posted by SK77 on 04/11/14 at 02:11 PM ET

awould's avatar

The factor that will lead to the suspension is that he did hit the head with the shoulder and he could’ve avoided it. The onus is on Rupp to avoid the hit if it is dangerous. Whether he targeted the head is only something Rupp knows. I don’t know jack about Rupp so I have no idea if he’s a predator or prone to losing his cool or if this was just a random bad result.

It wasn’t like Oshie put his head down at the last second and ducked into the shoulder. I watch that and I see a hit to the head that could’ve been avoided. I’m no fan of Oshie, except when he’s shooting penalty shots for the USA, and I certainly don’t care about St. Louis missing his services in the playoffs, but it was a dangerous hit, even if it wasn’t dirty (intentional/targeted).

Posted by awould on 04/11/14 at 02:15 PM ET

I didn’t think this was that “goonish.” Or at least, not intentional.

Watch Rupp’s footwork. Watch him pivot. Watch him start from a dead stop.

My best guess is that he gets the angle slightly wrong (and his angle of approach is only very, very slightly wrong) because his knees (guessing it’s his knees, but it might be his hips) look like they might be totaled.

Maybe people see a goon here, but what I see is a guy who’s at least a year past what should have been retirement.

Also, Walz is not wrong about one thing. If I remember correctly, last time the Blues played the Wild, Hitchcock made a bunch of comments about wanting to push them around. 5 minutes into the game, Ryan Reaves about killed somebody on the Wild.

Posted by larry on 04/11/14 at 04:44 PM ET