24/7 Playoff Edition?

from Chris Johnston of Sportsnet,

Those who found the third season of HBO’s 24/7 less compelling than the previous two might be interested to know that the cable network hopes to take the behind-the-scenes concept to another level by getting embedded during the playoffs. Word has it that some NHL teams have already been approached to gauge their interest and at least one is open to the idea. While it probably won’t be pulled together by this spring, according to a source, it would be can’t-miss TV for hockey fans if it ever happened.

many more topics...

Filed in: NHL Teams, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

NHLJeff's avatar

That sounds like it would make for some great television, but considering how much of a burden the show seems to be on teams, I can’t imagine they’d consider such disruptions during a time as important as the playoffs.  Here’s hoping they do though!

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 01/08/14 at 04:17 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Lemmee guess.  The Pens and Hawks.  Yawn.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 01/08/14 at 04:49 PM ET

Paul's avatar

I’d like to see the Ducks, Boudreau could do stand up if not coaching and if things go bad, would like to see Perry and Getzlaf go .....

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/08/14 at 04:51 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Seems to me like this would only cause a bigger distraction than 24/7 already causes in the room… but it would also make for some awesome TV, I suppose.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 01/08/14 at 04:56 PM ET

henrymalredo's avatar

Would love to see this.  You’ll have some old school fans who hate the idea and some teams won’t be keen on it (I’m sure the Red Wings have no interest), but this would be really entertaining television and I don’t think it would require as much of a forced narrative as some of the 24/7s have had so far because the playoffs are naturally more intense.

Posted by henrymalredo from Lansing on 01/08/14 at 05:00 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

I definitely think it’d be cool and would check it out. I’m not against it, but I am surprised if there really is at least one team “seriously” entertaining it, because it just seems like the type of thing most NHL coaches and GMs would be rather averse to.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 01/08/14 at 05:12 PM ET

And what happens if the team is eliminated in the first round?

Posted by nosferatu from Albany, NY on 01/08/14 at 07:13 PM ET

And what happens if the team is eliminated in the first round?

I’m sure they wouldn’t have any type of plan for that.

Posted by Garth on 01/09/14 at 11:20 AM ET

I wonder how this would work. It would be fascinating to watch…if the teams bought-in to it…in the playoffs, good luck with that.

Wings/Leafs gave HBO nothing to work with off the ice apart from Kessel…who didn’t say a thing until the last episode.

In the playoffs, where teams are more secretive and selective with what they say publicly…I’m guessing even teams that have players with a modicum of personality would give HBO just as little as Toronto and Detroit did.

Posted by larry on 01/09/14 at 08:18 PM ET