16 Years Ago

Over 121,000 posts, that's an average of 20+ posts a day, Kukla's Korner was born.

I never thought 16 years later I would be typing this, but thanks to you, a dream became true.

I started doing this after leaving a very good job to become a 24/7 caretaker for my Mom, while at her home I started what I do.

We've been through a lot KK/A2Y members and guests and the one thing which has remained true since day 1 is my commitment to spread the news of the hockey world.

I thank all of you for continuing to visit KK on a regular basis and participating in the comments.

Now let the fun week begin.

Filed in: KK Website Business, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

I did have my first blog called Breaking Sports which happened during the lockout.

While there, I received an email from Phil Coffey, who was with NHL.com at the time and he asked me if I would like to start writing a ‘blog’ there.

After a few seconds of thought, I said yes and started blogging with NHL.com too.  Note I was their first ever blogger hired and something I will always be proud of.

That decision was no doubt a major one for me.  More and more people flocked to KK and the rest is history.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/17/21 at 09:26 AM ET

dougie's avatar

Incredible! Please know that you are on my list of people to share the wealth with, should I ever hit the lottery jackpot. I have loads of respect for how you have run this site, and tactfully managed the occasional, problem children over the years.

Posted by dougie on 07/17/21 at 09:28 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Thanks dougie for the kind words.

When you win, I am ready to give you my bank details!

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/17/21 at 09:30 AM ET

Appreciate what you do Paul. I remember finding KK post 05 lock out. I was randomly looking for hockey news online and stumbled here and it’s been the first site I check everyday for hockey news since… like literally, I’m on vacation in northern MI, barely have a connection, I just woke up, and here I am in bed on my phone checking KK for news lol. Thanks Paul!

Posted by Jdunc from Flint, MI on 07/17/21 at 09:42 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Thanks Jdunc, want to change places for a few days?

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/17/21 at 09:44 AM ET

Rumbear's avatar

All hail the Emperor!

Congrats Paul! I truly appreciate all you do. The information provided by you and the comments from your 19 friends is always a treat!

Now get back to work!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, sing along The YzerMan Can!...... on 07/17/21 at 09:47 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Thanks Rumbear.  Without out people like you, all the way on the west coast, KK would not be what it is today.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/17/21 at 09:56 AM ET

Congratulations on the Anniversary of Sweet 16.

I would like to think I have wandefred through for most ot those years, and look forward to daily visits for the next 16.

Posted by Cubanpuckstoppr on 07/17/21 at 11:09 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Thanks CS for your support.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/17/21 at 11:14 AM ET

Paul's avatar

I’ve had a few emails this morning asking about the next KK Donation Drive.

It’s coming in a few days.

I got through the season with the help of many of you.  Income was still down but not as badly as it was during the pandemic.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/17/21 at 11:16 AM ET

shazam88's avatar

Congrats, Paul!

16 years is crazy! Looks like I signed up in the summer of 2007. I vaguely remember traveling at that time and keeping tabs on free agency and the typical Kings off-season bumbling, then and stumbling on your site and loving it.

Keep up the great work!

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 07/17/21 at 11:22 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Congrats, Paul, and a great big thank you for all that you do for us in spite of the many things that have gotten in the way of that over the years – including your latest tumble. Pretty darn impressive.

This anniversary made me wonder just when it was that I became a KK member. It turns out it was just a couple of weeks shy of 14 years ago (August 4, 2007). I’m sorry I missed the first two years.

Posted by dougie on 07/17/21 at 09:28 AM ET

Too funny. I guess that makes two of us you can count on for a little extra cash infusion if, er, I mean, when the big win comes. So why don’t you just send me your bank info now so I’ll be ready when it happens.  LOL

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/17/21 at 11:26 AM ET

Thanks shaz.. and OTC.

It certaintly does not feel like 16 years.  When you do what you love then all is good.

OTC, firs I need your information to verify who you say you are!

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/17/21 at 11:30 AM ET

Paul's avatar

This just in, 1.2M comments from people like you.

Remember, during the glory days of the Wings, the live blogs would gather 200-300 comments per game which helped increase the total of comments.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/17/21 at 11:33 AM ET

best hockey site, hands down..much appreciated paul

Posted by rickytarr on 07/17/21 at 11:55 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Thanks rickytarr and thanks for your continued visits too.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/17/21 at 11:56 AM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Howdy Paul. Hard to believe it’s been 16 years. I started following you when someone placed your site on the old Detroit News Wings blog and that was that.
You’re site is my hockey sanctuary here in the hockey starved south. All the best in your future here and looking forward to when the Wings get back to playoff contenders and the blog gets back to the 200 to 400 game posts.
I will definitely send some zlotys your way when you open your fundraiser.

Posted by cigar_nurse from On LTIR for the Greenville Pylons on 07/17/21 at 12:14 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Thanks so much cn, it’s been nice to have you around.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/17/21 at 12:27 PM ET

Awesome Paul, thanks for doing what you do, and here’s to at least 16+ more years….....

Posted by VegasMike on 07/17/21 at 12:35 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Thanks VM, I will take those odds on 16 more years.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/17/21 at 12:35 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

OTC, firs I need your information to verify who you say you are!

Posted by Paul from Motown Area

What? You don’t believe I really am Older Than Chelios? I’m deeply hurt by that.  LOL

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/17/21 at 12:39 PM ET

The Meal's avatar

Congrats PK, and thanks for all you’ve done.  I only check your site and The Athletic on a daily basis (but do poke around other places on the web when big news comes down—always discovered on your site first, by the way!).  You really are terrific at what you do, and the community you’ve built is a testament to who you are as a person.  Congrats on the milestone and I certainly hope this is less than the half-way mark for your lasting legacy.

Cheers,
-Neal

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 07/17/21 at 01:17 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Right on Paul! I think many of us Wing Nuts would be lost without you and this forum. It is a great place to chat about our favorite team and the rest of the NHL. It is incredibly obvious you put your heart and soul into this place and to do it for this long it is truly amazing. Shit, marriages wish they could last that long (been with my wife for 23 years luckily and knock on wood) or people and their employment.Whatever.

Thanks for putting so much into this for us, the 19! Hopefully another healthy 16 years will happen.

Maybe PooBah can make you a cake to celebrate!

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 07/17/21 at 01:18 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Many a THANKS! for all your hard work over the years to help keep us 19 up-to-date on all things hockey, PK.

It is MUCH appreciated!

and ...

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 07/17/21 at 01:38 PM ET

Paul's avatar

thanks sh, dd and TM, you guys are part of this, your comments add to the discussion.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/17/21 at 02:07 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

Gratz Paul. Here’s to 16 more!

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 07/17/21 at 04:56 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Hoping for the same RGEP, thanks.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/17/21 at 05:10 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

A day without a cup of coffee and KK isn’t a day at all.  Thanks Paul for all the hard work over the years, you’ve created a gem here - both for hockey news and for the great community that has formed here.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 07/17/21 at 05:31 PM ET

Paul's avatar

My intentions exactly HD, thanks.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/17/21 at 05:38 PM ET

Sixteen years is quite a feat Paul, congratulations!  Many thanks for your dedication, and for keepin’ the joint classy. I hope you keep your Korner office humming for many more years!

Posted by Moose Moss on 07/17/21 at 07:07 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Thanks MM and I will continue to do what I do.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/17/21 at 07:09 PM ET

Shnorhakalutyun, Boss.

I actually started on the DetNews Wings Blog and then from there, I saw a link to another private, invite-only Wings forum whose owner would often link interesting conversations to A2Y.  I ignored A2Y, at first, but the more he posted from A2Y on his own forum, my curiosity got the best of me and so I read it for the first time. I was hooked and at that time, he was on a previous iteration of KK before you migrated it to its present forum.  I am honored to have been a part of KK since the migration.

It’s been an amazing ride through four (!) Cups victories as well as the heartbreaking crash of one Jiri Fischer (who has thankfully fully recovered and is now one of the most valuable members of player development) and the passing of some of the NHL’s greatest players such as Ted Lindsay and Gordie Howe.  The highs and the lows of NHL history, I am privileged to have been a part of it with KK through it all.

Really and Truly Appreciate You, Boss.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 07/17/21 at 11:02 PM ET

Thanks fr all that SYF.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/18/21 at 04:19 AM ET

BIGFOOT88's avatar

Big Congrat’s on the 16 years Pauly !

Thanks for all the effort - it’s gotta be tough during the DRW’s marathon rebuild process…

-BIGFOOT

Posted by BIGFOOT88 on 07/18/21 at 11:09 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Thanks BIG…, I am just glad I do all the NHL teams, don’t know where I would be if I just did Wings.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/18/21 at 11:10 AM ET

You’ve done a great job over the years Paul. The first place I come for hockey news.

Posted by evileye on 07/19/21 at 10:13 AM ET