Goodbye To Pittsburgh

from Marc-Andre Fleury at The Players' Tribune,

Saying that the last few weeks have been bittersweet would be an understatement. As we reached the Stanley Cup finals, I knew very well that my time as a Penguin was nearing its end. I love to play. I love the game, and everything about it. Putting the mask on, diving around, stopping the puck, feeling the intensity of the game, feeling useful. I wish I could have been in net for my last game as a Penguin. But we raised the Cup, again, and it made all the sacrifices worthy. I felt proud — proud of my teammates for battling through injuries, for showing a lot of character, and for winning two years in a row. I am grateful that I had the chance to contribute to our success through the first rounds. And I feel very fortunate that the last time I have skated with a Penguins jersey, it will have been with the Stanley Cup in my hands. Not that it wasn’t an emotional moment.

Fourteen years. Nearly half of my life. I remember my first training camp, in September 2003, like it was yesterday. I was so nervous. There are so many expectations on a first-round pick, and I didn’t want to let anybody down. I just tried to do my best, and wanted to leave a good impression. But when you face Mario Lemieux in training camp, it can be quite intimidating, to say the least.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: marc-andre+fleury, vegas+golden+knights

Comments

Thag's avatar

I like the way he sucks up to Lemieux and talks about his “loyalty to the city”. This is the same Mario Lemieux who held the city hostage, and nearly moved the team to Kansas City.

Posted by Thag from DC on 06/26/17 at 11:19 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Posted by Thag from DC on 06/26/17 at 12:19 PM ET

And tried to sell them earlier this season.

Posted by ilovehomers on 06/26/17 at 11:21 AM ET

Yeah, it’s kind of crazy that a guy who still young (and probably would still like to be a Penguin) didn’t burn his bridges with his former team.

What’s up with that?!??

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 06/26/17 at 11:32 AM ET

WingedRider's avatar

What’s up with that?!??

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 06/26/17 at 12:32 PM ET

Yes the Flower was wise not to burn any bridges.  He actually has taken the move very well.

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 06/26/17 at 11:51 AM ET

Class act.  As always.  As for the Mario comments, you are idiots.  He didn’t hold anyone or anything hostage and as far as trying to sell the team; so what!  That makes him a bad person?

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 06/26/17 at 12:02 PM ET