Brendan Smith In The Headlines For The Wrong Reasons

from Larry Brooks of the New York Post,

Smith’s turnover rate has been alarming. His lack of physical play has been unexpected, given the fact that his nastiness in the first round against Montreal was not only a key to the Blueshirts’ six-game victory, but a major reason why general manager Jeff Gorton went to 17.4 million lengths to keep Smith from becoming a free agent....

It is worth wondering whether, this soon into the union, there is buyer’s/seller’s remorse on Smith’s part. The answer came from Smith’s agent, Anton Thun.

“I’m not sure who’s the buyer and who’s the seller in this case, but there are no regrets at all from Smitty,” Thun told The Post prior to Wednesday’s match. “And while I don’t want to speak for the Rangers, I talk to Jeff pretty regularly and I’ve never gotten that impression from him.

“Smitty’s no dummy. He knows this is a performance-based industry and his hasn’t been where he would like it to be or where it needs to be. He’s just working hard to get back in the lineup.”

Filed in: NHL Teams, New York Rangers, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: brendan+smith

Comments

ilovehomers's avatar

But what about his zone entries tho.

Posted by ilovehomers on 11/08/17 at 06:31 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Smith being a turnover machine is nothing new, really.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 11/08/17 at 07:31 PM ET

Smitty’s no dummy.

Kind of hard to take his comments seriously when he clearly doesn’t know his own client.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 11/08/17 at 08:40 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Around these parts a while back, I seem to remember the nickname “enigma” was hung on Robert Lang…I think a similar nickname could have been given to Smith….he just never seemed to perform to his potential…..or maybe he is performing to potential??

Posted by Down River Dan on 11/08/17 at 09:01 PM ET

jhpcarrier97's avatar

Some players just have a plain lazy streak in them.  Weeding them out is a scouting and manager function.You need to chart these things, I would have a chart on every Wing in the lineup.  Any lazy games I would chart, patterns I would discuss with the player, be upfront and straight about their present contract and the next one coming.  Sometimes you need to call a floater a floater, sometimes you need to set limits, more work.  So the players that hustle all the time on the ice are the keepers for me, but the talented sleepers need a kick in the a$$ every once in awhile!

Posted by jhpcarrier97 on 11/08/17 at 09:30 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Guess the Red Wings arent the only team that try to turn defensemen into 200 ft. Players. wink

Posted by ilovehomers on 11/08/17 at 09:30 PM ET

I’m pretty sure the Rangers would be happy if he was a 10 foot player. Any 10 feet.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 11/08/17 at 09:36 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

no comment

cheese

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 11/09/17 at 07:42 AM ET

Smitty’s no dummy.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 11/08/17 at 08:40 PM ET

I read that and just started laughing. I’m wondering if his agent was being sarcastic.

I can’t believe KH managed to get a 2nd rounder for him.

Posted by George0211 on 11/09/17 at 08:00 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I bet there aren’t!  I’m sure he’d love to play, but watching the games from a Suite, while making 17.4 million, is a decent life.

Posted by TreKronor on 11/09/17 at 08:47 AM ET

Just a reminder…

<div ><iframe src=‘https://gfycat.com/ifr/SecondHappygoluckyHoneybee’ frameborder=‘0’ scrolling=‘no’ width=‘100%’ height=‘100%’  allowfullscreen></iframe></div>

Posted by Pasha1277 on 11/09/17 at 10:12 AM ET

Ooops…

Posted by Pasha1277 on 11/09/17 at 10:12 AM ET

hockeyfreak13's avatar

He also gave Sheahan his ID on the night of the super-drunk arrest. I’m glad both of those knuckleheads are off this team.

Posted by hockeyfreak13 from Grand Rapids on 11/09/17 at 10:43 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Posted by Pasha1277 on 11/09/17 at 10:12 AM ET

hahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahaha

Posted by ilovehomers on 11/09/17 at 11:20 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

This comes as a surprise to no one, except maybe Jeff Gorton.

Posted by Hootinani on 11/09/17 at 01:48 PM ET