Would You Like To See Eddie Olczyk In Charge Of The NHL’s Department Of Player Safety?

from Tracey Myers of CSNChicago,

Eddie Olczyk has worn several hats during his hockey career, from player to coach to well-known color analyst, both with NBC and CSN.

Could a job at the league office be the next possibility?

A league source said Olczyk is one of several being considered to be the head of the NHL’s Department of Player Safety.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Chicago Blackhawks, NHL Media, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: eddie+olczyk

Comments

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

Only if I ever wanted to see 5 game suspensions for “subtle interference.”

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 05/09/14 at 04:24 PM ET

WolfKeeper's avatar

Yes. Anything to get him off my TV in Chicago.

Posted by WolfKeeper on 05/09/14 at 04:26 PM ET

A ridiculously biased announcer deciding who gets suspended?  How could anything possibly go wrong with that.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 05/09/14 at 04:29 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Eddie Olczyk has worn several hats during his hockey career

He’s not worn them well though.

Posted by TreKronor on 05/09/14 at 04:40 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Jackass of all trades, master of none

Posted by Hootinani on 05/09/14 at 04:45 PM ET

I thought Stephane Quintal is already in charge?

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 05/09/14 at 04:50 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Jackass of all trades, master of none

Anything to get him off TV.

Posted by bigfrog on 05/09/14 at 04:59 PM ET

awould's avatar

Pro: Off the TV

Con: Biased

Conclusion: Yes. I think his bias may have the opposite effect where he feels compelled to overcompensate, which could be bad news for Brian Bickell and Duncan Keith. Or his bias will show through in a bigger way, making him look like more of a jackass and, hopefully, furthering the end of his career.

Posted by awould on 05/09/14 at 05:18 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

My personal distaste for the way Edzo does his job as a commentator, I have found that he’s been pretty consistent in calling a dirty hit dirty by the standard of definition I like.

The one thing I’ve consistently liked about his analyst job is his ideas on player safety, especially with constant talk about how fewer problems would happen if players were better-instructed to keep their sticks out of the air.

I do worry about bias with him, but I worried about bias with Shanahan and I honestly don’t think that bias drove his decision-making.  I’d be ok with this.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/09/14 at 05:24 PM ET

No doubt.  He is a bitter, bitter man.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 05/09/14 at 05:34 PM ET

Absolutely.  I’ve had enough of the cro-magnon old school guys like Campbell and Quintal who just turn the other way anytime there’s something borderline (Lucic spears, anyone?).  I’d much rather have a “skill” kind of guy in the role.  Maybe he’ll be better at protecting players.  But we also need someone of this ilk in charge of the refs who let everything go.

Posted by Mad City Mike on 05/09/14 at 06:41 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Eddie Olczyk has worn several hats during his hockey career

The hat he has worn best though would be the asshat.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 05/09/14 at 06:47 PM ET

id like to see him in charge of jock sanitation

Posted by SlimChance on 05/09/14 at 10:03 PM ET

This guy is so annoying. Someone make him a KHL offer. Somewhere far north of the Arctic Circle

Could be wrong but didn’t he interview for a job with Detroit years ago? Could be the reason for his bitterness towards the Red Wings.

Hope there’s a way they could veto him getting Shanny’s job. Be ready to see 10 game suspensions for Kronwalling.

Posted by leftwing on 05/10/14 at 06:34 AM ET

phillyd's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/09/14 at 05:24 PM ET

I pretty much agree with everything you said and think he would do a good job in the role if given the chance.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 05/10/14 at 08:25 AM ET