Watching Rogers And The Leafs

from David Shoalts of the Globe and Mail,

While NHL TV ratings are down across the board on average for Rogers for the first seven weeks this season, as expected the worst news concerns the Maple Leafs, the team that drives the numbers because it is in the largest broadcast market in Canada.

The combined ratings for the Leafs on all the Rogers-connected networks that carry them, CBC, Sportsnet and City, are down 30 per cent from Oct. 7 through Nov. 21 according to Numeris, the only company in Canada that compiles broadcast ratings.

In 16 games carried on the CBC, Sportsnet or City networks, the average audience for Leafs games was 863,825 viewers, down from 1,226,264 in the same period last year, when 14 games were shown. The difference is that in the first seven weeks of the 2014-15 season, the Leafs were still a playoff contender, unlike this season when they are in rebuilding mode and in last place in the Eastern Conference’s Atlantic Division by Thursday night.

The drop in viewership also means a corresponding dip in advertising revenue for Rogers, which gambled heavily on NHL hockey by grabbing the league’s Canadian national broadcast rights in 2014 for $5.2-billion over 12 years.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Toronto Maple Leafs, NHL Media, Hockey Broadcasting, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: rogers

Comments

Hank1974's avatar

Step 1 - Fire George Stroumboulopoulos.
The end.

Posted by Hank1974 on 12/11/15 at 08:45 AM ET

Step 1 - Fire George Stroumboulopoulos.
The end.

Posted by Hank1974 on 12/11/15 at 08:45 AM ET

You can’t fire someone with a name like that. It might be the best name on TV

Posted by George0211 on 12/11/15 at 08:50 AM ET

The end.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, let’s not be hasty.  Healy and Hrudey and Kypreos and Damien Cox and PJ Stock and if you give me a few minutes I’ll think up another four or five guys who can follow Strombo out the door.

Basically, keep Friedman and rebuild from there.

Posted by Garth on 12/11/15 at 09:20 AM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Basically, keep Friedman and rebuild from there.

LOL! Agreed.
I don’t mind Healy and Hrudey, but Kypreos is a guy I don’t ever have to watch again.
Ever notice how if he’s not the one talking, he’ll stare at the camera like he wants to fight it?
I think he took one too many punches.

I guess I’m now officially the old guy shaking his fist at teenagers running across his lawn, but I really wish they’d bring back Ron MacLean to host the show.

I also think it’s a crime that there will be no more hockey on CBC starting next year. Blasphemous!

Posted by Hank1974 on 12/11/15 at 09:23 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

The old adage “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” works here.

But CBC wanted to go for the younger audience. Someone forgot to tell them younger people don’t watch TV anymore.

HNIC used to be ‘must see TV’ for me. Not anymore. Not sure I’ve watched twenty minutes of it total since the start of the season.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 12/11/15 at 09:59 AM ET

blammo's avatar

George is really good at his other job but he absolutely the wrong guy for this one. I like Hrudey and Friedman as well.

Not to mention Rogers insistence on using Messier for local (Vancouver) marketing and promos which does them no favours with the local fanbase.

They’ve lost that little bit of hokey-ness (see what I did there) of earlier HNIC productions and I suggest that that had appeal on both sides of the border. Now HNIC feels like it is trying too hard, just like every other American sports broadcast.

Posted by blammo from Vancouver, BC on 12/11/15 at 11:39 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Agreed with everything you said blammo.

George just does not ooze hockey and that is the type of guy they need.

Good guy, does his job but not suited for the role he is in.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/11/15 at 11:40 AM ET

blammo's avatar

Probably too broad of a characterization but I didn’t want to sound like I had an anti-American slant. Just that the glitz, and pomp and bombast is less suitable for hockey production.

Posted by blammo from Vancouver, BC on 12/11/15 at 11:44 AM ET

Hank1974's avatar

The old adage “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” works here.

Which is funny considering Strombo is 42. Not exactly a spring chicken.

Sad but true.
I used to live for HNIC and I absolutely loved the Hot Stove. It was must-watch for me.
I barely watch it for more than a minute or two now.

Posted by Hank1974 on 12/11/15 at 12:33 PM ET

But CBC wanted to go for the younger audience.

To be fair, it was Rogers, not CBC who made the changes.  CBC has no power in their deal.

Actually, they have it for the first four seasons of the Rogers deal, which means 14-15, 15-16, 16-17 and 17-18.

Posted by Garth on 12/11/15 at 02:03 PM ET

The Hot Stove was GREAT!

But having Elliott Friedman at a desk with Kypreos, Healy and Strombo, correcting their inaccuracies while trying not to roll his eyes is really, very, super entertaining too…

Posted by Garth on 12/11/15 at 02:04 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Actually, I take that back - the over-production of NFL broadcasts works, because it’s the NFL. Hockey broadcasts should follow the MLB model, more low key, focused on tradition..

Posted by blammo from Vancouver, BC on 12/11/15 at 11:44 AM ET