Video- Sonny Milano Goal, Trevor Zegras Assist

Wow.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Anaheim Ducks, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Hootinani's avatar

Sweet assist, but the puck was knocked in with a high stick.  But never let the truth get in the way of a good story I guess.

Posted by Hootinani on 12/07/21 at 10:49 PM ET

Paul's avatar

from Elliott Teaford of the OC Register,

Zegras, a 20-year-old rookie center, has made audacious plays his specialty during his brief NHL career. His lob pass to Milano was one of his growing collection of OMG moments, one that had to be reviewed to ensure the puck wasn’t batted into the net with a high stick.

Milano embraced Zegras after his goal gave the Ducks a 1-0 lead 5:14 into the second period. Zegras put his hands to his head as if to say, “What have I done?” After the review upheld Milano’s eighth goal of the season, he and Zegras celebrated like a couple of kids on the bench.

“I had some time,” Zegras said. “This guy (Milano) was calling for a Michigan. So, I picked it up and passed it to him and he tapped it in. Pretty funny how it all worked out. I was sold on the pass. Once I heard him yell ‘Michigan,’ I wanted to get it to him. I still can’t believe it worked.”[/quote

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/08/21 at 03:02 AM ET

Primis's avatar

I’ve very often wondered why this wasn’t tried before.  People like the lacrosse goals, if that’s not there and you’ve got a guy in front of the net, this has seemed to me to be an obvious option if you have the time/room.

It’s probably not something you can try at the lower levels though.  You need the hand-eye to be able to pull it off.

Posted by Primis on 12/08/21 at 09:44 AM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

Hootinani, it was not a high stick. Milano’s stick was not over the crossbar.

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Denver on 12/08/21 at 09:45 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Definitely not a high stick.

Hey, I remember watching Sonny with the Whalers! I miss them so much.

Posted by ilovehomers on 12/08/21 at 09:57 AM ET

Paul's avatar

I remeber Datsyuk trying and thankfully someone else did too.  https://twitter.com/NHL/status/1468413924987092997

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/08/21 at 10:28 AM ET