Video- Jeff Skinner Feels The Hit From Jared Cowen

Penalties listed below...

13:11 Ottawa Jared Cowen: 5 minutes, fighting
13:11 Carolina Marc-Andre Bergeron: 2 minutes, instigator
13:11 Carolina Chad Larose: 5 minutes, fighting
13:11 Carolina Chad Larose: 10 minutes, misconduct

Filed in: NHL Teams, Carolina Hurricanes, Ottawa Senators, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: jared+cowen, jeff+skinner

Comments

Paul's avatar

Skinner will not return.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/16/13 at 07:34 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

Not sure what @ice_chip is complaining about. That’s a guy standing someone up in the neutral zone. Keeps himself tucked in and doesn’t throw any kind of elbow. Of course, it doesn’t help that Skinner comes up to Cowen’s shoulder.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 04/16/13 at 07:46 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

Sure looks like a forearm directly to the head to me.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 04/16/13 at 07:48 PM ET

I honestly couldn’t tell from that video how malicious, if at all, that hit was. I do hope that Skinner is good to go and doesn’t suffer more long term injury time. When that kid first came into the league he was easily one of the most exciting young talents that I’d seen in a long time.

Posted by godblender on 04/16/13 at 08:37 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Tough call to make as far as the forearm goes, but at some point Skinner has to start skating with his head up or hes going to have a short career.  Doesn’t help that LaRose hung him out to dry there, which is why I assume he decided to stand up to Cowen.

Posted by Hootinani on 04/16/13 at 08:45 PM ET

I guess we should ask 6’6” players to start skating crouched down?

Elbow wasn’t only tucked, it was sticking straight down.

Great clean hit to a player that had his head down.

Alexander is a tool.

Posted by Siggy on 04/16/13 at 08:54 PM ET

statelouis26's avatar

It looked clean the 1st time through and then dirty the 2nd time.  Can’t definitively determine what exactly happened w/ the only video angle provided.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 04/16/13 at 09:32 PM ET

NickLidstrom's avatar

It was a clean hit. Unfortunately, Cowen is way taller than Skinner so his shoulder hit his head. Sometimes in hockey people get hit and, sadly, sometimes they even get hurt. There is nothing dirty about the play. If this hit is an “offense” in any way than we are watching roller hockey with skates on, which it seems we are already starting to.

Posted by NickLidstrom from a Higher Ground on 04/16/13 at 11:46 PM ET

The very definition of a clean open ice bodycheck.  I like Skinner and I’m sorry if he’s hurt but you can’t fault Cowen for that.

Posted by dwgs on 04/17/13 at 08:34 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

The players might need to consider a different standard than clean/dirty FORM if we’re ever to remove the concussions without removing the hitting. If you’re 6"6, maybe you don’t throw a full body check on a significantly smaller player. If you’re that much bigger, you can separate the player from the puck without knocking him into the next game. I’m not suggesting a rule change, but a different culture among players.

But realistically, I don’t expect that to happen. These are paid gladiators who abuse one another for our entertainment. Big hits are entertaining and exciting for the hitter’s fanbase. They put butts in seats. Plus, some players (not necessarily Cowen) are just goony and they earn their livelihood in wiping out opponents who don’t have their heads up the entire game (Kronwall is but one example).

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/17/13 at 09:50 AM ET

Looked like a clean hit to me. If I were the canes I would not be pleased with LaRose for hanging Skinner out to dry like he did.

Posted by cromedome on 04/17/13 at 10:20 AM ET

awould's avatar

..... aaaannnd now only 1 guy from my original fantasy drafted roster left off of the IR. That’s gotta be some kind of record.

Posted by awould on 04/18/13 at 07:07 PM ET