Video- Burrow’s Shootout Goal Would Have Counted

Greg Wyshynski of Puck Daddy with the video evidence.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Vancouver Canucks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: alex+burrows

Comments

phillyd's avatar

Yep, puck was always moving forward, ever so slightly. If he had pulled it back there at the end, then it would’ve been not allowed, right?

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 01/29/13 at 12:47 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

It was probably the second more ignorant shoot-out attempt I’ve ever seen.  Patrick Eavs crashing into the boards was hands down the best-worst.  But at least that was funny.  Burrows’ was embarrassing.  Reminded me of some Milli Vanilli dance.  He did the hockey world a favor by missing that shot.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/29/13 at 12:55 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

This video further illustrates that the shootout is not hockey.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 01/29/13 at 01:41 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Bob McKenzie tweets,

I initially thought no because, IMO, the puck had stopped moving. It’s not about forward or backward movement, it’s about movement.

That’s where I get confused, the movement part, towards the goal or just moving?

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/29/13 at 01:47 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Kerry Fraser of TSN with his ruling.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/29/13 at 01:49 PM ET

perfection's avatar

I don’t get it… I really thought these shootout rules were quite intuitive until this one. His move looks totally fluid until the very last stick move. Basically, if he put it behind his back, turned and shot, it would seem like one move. But he turned, stopped and moved the puck back and forth. while the puck never came to a stop, does this mean a player could skate down, come to a stop and just keep sliding the puck back and forth? I guess so. While obviously you can’t score on a rebound, I guess I assumed they treated the moves similarly to offsides calls where the body goes over the blue line before the puck but it’s good if it’s part of a fluid, controlled move with full possession. Basically every shootout goal I’ve seen has followed this logic, but this one I’d say Burrows’ fluid move ends right before he makes the final stick handle. Personally, I don’t think this goal should have been allowed if he scored.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 01/29/13 at 02:29 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Poor attempt to try a ‘Tuzzi move.

Posted by TreKronor on 01/29/13 at 03:05 PM ET