The Mourning Blues

from Bernie Miklasz of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch,

* I feel bad for Blues fans. They're the most loyal in town. Generations of Blues fans have invested their emotions and dollars in a franchise that's been around since 1967 without winning a Stanley Cup. The Blues haven't made a Stanley Cup Final since 1970, and haven't advanced past the second round since 2001. The fans deserve better. One day, my friends ... one day.

* I had no problem with the Blues' effort and commitment in this series ... until the third period of Game 6. To go into the third period of a 1-1 game with your season on the line and get outscored 4-0 over the final 20 minutes? Disgraceful. And it takes away from everything they put into this.

* Obviously, Ryan Miller didn't come up large for the Blues in this series. He wasn't able to steal a game, and his team needed that. Miller was awful in the 3rd period of Game 6, allowing four goals on 16 shots. Needless to say, Chicago's Corey Crawford won the battle of the goalies. The gamble by GM Doug Armstrong didn't pay off. I supported Armstrong's move, his willingness to go for it all by acquiring Miller. So I won't be hypocrital and phony and pretend otherwise. But the bottom line: the hopes, dreams, ambition (and trade pieces) that went into this deal were all for naught.

read on

Some additional topics too also via the St. Louis Post-Dispatch...

Attention Turns To Ryan Miller

Disappointing Finish

Nothing To Do But Try Again

Filed in: NHL Teams, Chicago Blackhawks, St. Louis Blues, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

IwoCPO's avatar

I feel bad for Blues fans. They’re the most loyal in town. Generations of Blues fans have invested their emotions and dollars in a franchise that’s been around since 1967 without winning a Stanley Cup. The Blues haven’t made a Stanley Cup Final since 1970, and haven’t advanced past the second round since 2001. The fans deserve better. One day, my friends ... one day.

There is joy in my heart.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 04/28/14 at 09:18 AM ET

Its All Hockey's avatar

I’m not a Blues Fan but after the season they had, disappointment is an understatement. But we all know, it wouldn’t be play-off hockey without a shocker in round 1 cool grin

Posted by Its All Hockey on 04/28/14 at 09:55 AM ET

pautna's avatar

I’m wondering if all of the so called experts can put the regular season ‘contender’ talk to bed until this team at the very least gets out of the second round of the playoffs?!? Something they haven’t even come close to do doing in that last three years.

Posted by pautna on 04/28/14 at 10:39 AM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

I would have been totally let down had the first comment not been from The Chief.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 04/28/14 at 10:51 AM ET

it wouldn’t be play-off hockey without a shocker in round 1

I just can’t believe that a never-was being beaten by the defending Cup champions could be considered a shocker.

Posted by Garth on 04/28/14 at 11:16 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Its All Hockey on 04/28/14 at 09:55 AM ET

Posted by Garth on 04/28/14 at 11:16 AM ET

CHI “shocking” STL is the dumbest thing I may have heard or read this entire season.  If STL had won, it would have genuinely been a shock.

Posted by Primis on 04/28/14 at 12:54 PM ET

SK77's avatar

So does this mean St. Louis isn’t a dynasty?

I have trouble keeping all these dynasties straight these days.

Posted by SK77 on 04/28/14 at 01:52 PM ET