The Chicago Blackhawks Need To Win Three In A Row

from Barry Rozner of the Chicago Daily-Herald,

There was the compact schedule after the lockout last year. The ferocious pace of the playoffs. The deep run. The Cup victory. The shortest summer of all time. The fast camp. Another compact schedule because of the Olympics. The Olympic tournament. The busy schedule to the finish. And now three more rounds of playoffs.

The amount of emotional energy necessary to continue this run is even tougher than the physical part, which is obviously brutal, and if the Hawks' tank is finally on empty, no one could blame them.

Asked if his team was tired, Joel Quenneville said Monday, "No, not at all. I think something like that we would feel it. You would see it. I'm not giving in to that one."

It's the right answer. A coach can never offer his team an excuse, but Quenneville is no fool. He knows his team is on fumes, and since the 18-minute mark of Period 2 in Game 2 the Hawks have been outscored 15-5, with the number of mental mistakes increasing with each passing game.

Can they muster one more comeback? They did play a strong third period Monday, but it might not be up to the Hawks.

They have played with fire the last two years, continually getting into dangerous spots, and they may have finally run into the team that burns them.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Chicago Blackhawks, Los Angeles Kings, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

pautna's avatar

This is how I read the first paragraph above. Excuse #1, Excuse #2, Excuse #3, etc… Plus after reading the Quennville quote about fatigue yesterday, this part jumped out at me “I’m not giving in to that one.” Well, which is it? “No.” or something is there that your trying not to give into? Plus, Quennville’s whole delusion that the Kings are getting lucky bounces and power play goals off of non-calls doesn’t seem to be serving the hawks at this point. How about the hawks are being out played and need to play better if they are going to win. The first step towards fixing a problem is admitting that you have one in the first place.

Posted by pautna on 05/27/14 at 09:46 AM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

I really love seeing the hawks lose. Between LA and the Rangers? The only loyalty I have there is the city I live in. So come on, Rangers!

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 05/27/14 at 09:59 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I hate the Hawks.  Disclaimer.

The Hawks have looked so slow and mesmerized by LA, it’s unreal.  Ever since Game 2 when LA scored their first goal of the game to make is 2-1 in the 2nd period (I recall?), LA has just been skating circles around Chicago.

Pautna, I’ve been out of the news cycle for a few days, so I hadn’t heard about Q thinking the Kings are getting lucky bounces.  But if that’s what he’s telling his team, that is sad.  In a best of 7 series, that isn’t a viable excuse.

Posted by TreKronor on 05/27/14 at 10:54 AM ET

LivinLaVidaLockout's avatar

Posted by pautna on 05/27/14 at 09:46 AM ET

If they didn’t want to play this much, maybe they should’ve rolled over last year instead of beating the Wings.  Man, is this fun to see this team lose..

Posted by LivinLaVidaLockout on 05/27/14 at 11:00 AM ET

awould's avatar

Since the end of the West Conference championship game, when Chicago knocked out LA, they’ve played only 4 more games than LA.

More relevant, I would think, is that since the start of these playoffs, LA has played 2 more games with less time off.

The “exhaustion” excuse does not apply here.

Posted by awould on 05/27/14 at 12:40 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

This final 4 is a wet dream for the board of governors and the owners. The two biggest TV markets, the hottest bandwagon team and the team with (arguably) the most rabid (to the point of obnoxious) fanbase.

When Chicago and MTL are eliminated, NBC will be drooling at the revenue projections of an LA/NYC final.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/27/14 at 12:49 PM ET

awould's avatar

It would be a big matchup win for the NHL and good exposure for hockey. Should be a decent series too, with Lundqvist,  and features two teams I don’t hate.

Posted by awould on 05/27/14 at 01:11 PM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

Redxblack, I agree although, despite LA being the No 2 TV market, I imagine they’d prefer an original 6 matchup of Chicago-NYR. Better draw and the numbers in Chicago will be higher than those in LA “smaller” market or not. I’m sure they’ll be happy with LA-NYR though.

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 05/27/14 at 03:38 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 05/27/14 at 03:38 PM ET

The Stars made back to back finals in 99-00 and that run of success was enough that they had a good, solid fanbase and put butts in seats far better than any of the other sunbelt teams until the mid-00s when the franchise started to tailspin due to the owner’s overspending (on soccer teams).  I wouldn’t underestimate the league’s salivation at the prospect of another finals run helping he kings further entrench themselves as a culturally relevant team in Southern California.  In fact, after the two rounds of socal-on-socal hockey and how positively that was received, I think the league is probably pretty tickled and eager for it to keep going.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 05/27/14 at 08:12 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

The Kings may be getting the bounces (no they are not just outplaying the Slackhawks), at least Q isn’t saying the puck hit a patch of ice like when the Red Wings score against them as Eddie O. says.

Posted by bigfrog on 05/27/14 at 09:43 PM ET