Team USA Brings Home The Gold

from USA Hockey,

The U.S. rallied from a pair of two-goal deficits and Troy Terry (Highlands Ranch, Colo./University of Denver), for the second straight night, scored the game-winner in the shootout, as the U.S. National Junior Team beat Canada, 5-4, to win the gold medal at the 2017 International Ice Hockey Federation World Junior Championship.

Goaltender Tyler Parsons (Chesterfield, Mich.) made 46 saves and stopped all five Canadian shots in the shootout.

"What a terrific game between two fantastic hockey countries," said Bob Motzko, head coach of Team USA. "When we got together in Michigan for our camp this summer, there was something special with these guys. This team had great camaraderie, tremendous heart and always battled. This is a special group who will forever walk together."

The victory gives Team USA its fourth gold medal at the IIHF World Junior Championship, and tenth medal all time in the event. The U.S. is now 4-1 all-time in gold-medal games at the World Juniors.

continued

Highlights are below...

Filed in: Non-NHL Hockey, International Hockey, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: team+usa

Comments

Red Winger's avatar

Just awesome!

Way to go, USA!!

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 01/06/17 at 09:10 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Best game I’ve seen all year.  USA earned every bit of that gold.

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 01/06/17 at 09:32 AM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Congrats to Team USA for running the table and going undefeated on their way to a Gold medal.
Last night’s game was unbelievably entertaining. It’s the reason I never skip on the World Jr’s. They always deliver quality entertainment while the NHL drags it’s knuckles.
The NHL wishes it could produce hockey like that. And hey, not one fight. Go figure.
I guess they don’t need side shows to sell their product.

Posted by Hank1974 on 01/06/17 at 09:37 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

The WJC and Olympics always remind us of what the NHL could be, but chooses not to.

Sad.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 01/06/17 at 09:39 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I’m feeling like, in the last few years, the US has really stepped up it’s development programs.  Will be interesting to see in the future how it translates.

Posted by TreKronor on 01/06/17 at 09:50 AM ET

Hank1974's avatar

What I really like is that they’re showing the world that the USHL and NCAA are two very viable options for amateur players.
You don’t need to sell-out to the CHL in order to guarantee a career in the NHL.

My buddies get mad at me all the time for saying that if one of my kids were good enough to play, I’d encourage them to choose NCAA over the OHL.
Quality education and hockey, and they can stay home and finish highschool instead of being sent off to Bum EFF Ontario as a 16YO.

I’m a very proud Canadian, but the US program is top notch and they’re producing a lot of great talent.

Posted by Hank1974 on 01/06/17 at 09:54 AM ET

Primis's avatar

I’m pleasantly surprised because the U.S. left one of its top available scorers at home in DeBrincat.  I figured that would come back to bite them in a big way.

Kinda’ became the Troy Terry show I guess though, eh?  He single-handedly won the shootout against Russia, and then scores the shootout winner against Canada.

Posted by TreKronor on 01/06/17 at 08:50 AM ET

I dunno’.  The U.S. traditionally has big-time scorers in NCAA, the USHL, and sometimes CHL.  And somehow in the process, they tend to get turned into things other than pure scorers then.  It’s like because they’re American, they automatically get extra defensive responsibilities heaped on them and the offensive numbers dip on into the minors and the NHL, where they become more two-way 2nd liners or something.  It’s often frustrating to see.

That’s all the U.S. has ever really lacked, is the top-notch pure scorers that can change a game on their own and are just unleashed.  Patrick Kane and Phil Kessel are the two closest they’e managed I guess.  And both even now are constantly banged on about not being defensively responsible enough, because that’s for some reason an expectation now of American players, regardless of their actual strengths and weaknesses..

Posted by Primis on 01/06/17 at 10:12 AM ET

Link_Gaetz's avatar

Sad.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 01/06/17 at 08:39 AM ET

What does that even mean? You want the NHL to have 8 teams, based on Nationality? You want Playoff games to go to Shootout if it doesn’t end in Regulation?

Yes, the NHL does choose not to do these things, I guess.

Posted by Link_Gaetz on 01/06/17 at 03:58 PM ET

Patrick Kane and Phil Kessel are the two closest they’e managed I guess.

Don’t forget Joe Pavelski.  He may be considered more of a 2-way player than Kessel or Kane, but he’s also had 30+ goals the last 4 full seasons in a row, which neither of the other two have.

Posted by EthrDemon on 01/06/17 at 07:01 PM ET

As a Canadian kudos to the US Juniors for the Gold, not pleased with the shoot out finale.  I’d preferred they played all night, the hockey was that good.  Impressed by Charlie McAvoy that kid is a beast, going to be great in NHL.  I believe the US program has got one step on Canada’s three junior leagues and layers, it has been overtaking Canada in under 17 and now the Junior level which means World leaders.

Posted by jhpcarrier97 on 01/06/17 at 09:02 PM ET

whats wrong with hockey Canada ?

Posted by hockeyrob1195 on 01/06/17 at 09:26 PM ET