Team Canada Roster Announced

via TSN,

Hockey Canada has announced its 25-player men's roster for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.

The complete Canadian roster is as follows:

Goaltenders: Roberto Luongo, Carey Price, Mike Smith

Defence: Jay Bouwmeester, Drew Doughty, Dan Hamhuis, Duncan Keith, Alex Pietrangelo, PK Subban, Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Shea Weber

Forwards: Jamie Benn, Patrice Bergeron, Jeff Carter, Sidney Crosby, Matt Duchene, Ryan Getzlaf, Chris Kunitz, Patrick Marleau, Rick Nash, Corey Perry, Patrick Sharp, Steven Stamkos, John Tavares, Jonathan Toews

Filed in: Non-NHL Hockey, International Hockey, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: team+canada

Comments

Can’t believe Marleau made it ahead of St. Louis or Couture. Can’t believe Giroux is on the team. I guess Canada is center-heavy. But isn’t Babcock the king of converting players from center to wing or vise-versa?

Posted by VitoLambruski on 01/07/14 at 12:40 PM ET

I meant to say I can’t believe Giroux “isn’t” on the team.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 01/07/14 at 12:40 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I’m wondering what shenanigans Mike Smith might pull on the intl stage.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 01/07/14 at 12:42 PM ET

Can’t believe Marleau made it ahead of St. Louis or Couture.

It’s kind of hard to argue against Marleau’s 41 points.  I’m more surprised by Nash being on the team.  He’s 90th among Canadian NHLers this year.

Posted by Garth on 01/07/14 at 12:49 PM ET

I’m wondering what shenanigans Mike Smith might pull on the intl stage.

I’m hoping the sniper that follows him around the league, randomly making him fall down, decides to take a couple weeks off.

Posted by Canucklehead from Ottawa, Ontario on 01/07/14 at 12:51 PM ET

Garth, I overlooked Nash. Yes, I’m even more surprised by Nash. I guess Laviolette was wrong about Giroux being the best in the world. And I’m guessing there’s something about his game that Yzerman and/or Babcock don’t like….

Posted by VitoLambruski on 01/07/14 at 12:51 PM ET

Matt Fry's avatar

Did not expect to see Marleau on this list (though it is nice to see).  I would have expected St Louis over Nash.  And Seabrook over Hamhuis.  Couture would have been a good fit over Marleau I think but having a surgical procedure now will likely keep him out for Olympics anyways.

Posted by Matt Fry from Winnipeg on 01/07/14 at 12:56 PM ET

shazam88's avatar

Nash always picks up his game internationally, but still, he seems a questionable pick imo. Then again, I haven’t seen him play much this year and am just basing that on his very poor stats. I suppose others could argue against Carter, without having seen him in the past few weeks, fully recovered from his injury.

Hamhuis was a bit of a dark horse. Guess he beat out Seabrook, Boyle and Giordano.

Giroux, St. Louis, well, I think they’re both playing really well now and particularly surprised about St. Louis, but I guess Yzerman knows him as well as anyone.

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 01/07/14 at 01:01 PM ET

topshelf14's avatar

Definitely surprised to see St. Louis left off the list yet again!  What does this guy have to do to prove to the Canadian brass that he is one of the best players in the NHL.  I guess his Art Ross Trophy from last year was not enough.

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 01/07/14 at 01:03 PM ET

No doubt Giroux left out and Kunitz added to appease Crosby!!

Posted by Jack McFly on 01/07/14 at 01:08 PM ET

TheFreak's avatar

does anyone have a reference/source that shows how many players from each NHL team on in the Olympics?

Posted by TheFreak on 01/07/14 at 01:15 PM ET

Lines:
Kun-Crosby-Stam
Tav-Toews-Sharp
Benn-Get-Perry
Duch-Berg-Carter

Posted by Anderj8 on 01/07/14 at 01:38 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Here you go TF.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/07/14 at 01:41 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

I sure hope Crosby doesn’t get hurt, or Kunitz/Crosby get off to a bad start.
Imagine the venom that will be spewed at Yzerman and co. if Kunitz has to be moved off to the top line?

And as well as those two have clicked the past 1.5 seasons, remember last spring when the two couldn’t do anything against the Bruins?
An NHL team. Not an all-star collection of the worlds best Swedes, Americans or Russians.

I’d be far more comfortable seeing E.Staal, Hall, Giroux or St.Louis over Kunitz.

Posted by Hank1974 on 01/07/14 at 01:41 PM ET

shazam88's avatar

Here you go TF.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/07/14 at 12:41 PM ET

Wow, that was fast! Thanks, Paul.

Chicago, Detroit and St. Louis leading the way with 10 players apiece on Oly teams.

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 01/07/14 at 01:45 PM ET

I don’t know, to me six points in 13 Olympic games isn’t a total that should outweigh the fact that he’s having the worst points-per-game season of his career.  Sure he puts up a lot of points during the World Championships, but the World Championships aren’t the Olympics.

Granted, he could end up being in the press box for the entire tournament, it just seems odd to me.

Posted by Garth on 01/07/14 at 01:58 PM ET

shazam88's avatar

^^ Yeah, I agree completely.

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 01/07/14 at 02:04 PM ET

No doubt Giroux left out and Kunitz added to appease Crosby!!

Pretty dumb thing to say.  You can hate Crosby all you want, but he is not the type of player to give Stevie Y a call and give him his advise on who should or shouldn’t be on the team.

And you can hate Kunitz all you want as well but the guy has been on fire for multiple seasons now with different centers.  Remember he played the season with Malkin and Neal when Crosby was out with the concussion and Malkin went on to win the scoring title.

No one is going to be happy when teams leave off players from “your” team, but that is just the way it goes.  As a penguins fan I am excited to see Sid and Kunitz and disappointed to not see Neal… but oh well.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 01/07/14 at 02:37 PM ET

Slumpy's avatar

Giordano I would of taken over pickle boy and probably Hamhuis too.
Guess Boyles age was a concern along with St Louis’s.
Maybe Marty gets the call if Stammer can’t get healthy in time but if not that’s the second straight Olympic snub by Stevie Y against his TB winger.
Demand a trade Marty!
cool grin

Posted by Slumpy from Detroit on 01/07/14 at 03:27 PM ET

Yzerman wasn’t hired by Tampa Bay until after the 2010 Olympics.

Posted by Garth on 01/07/14 at 03:37 PM ET

Posted by VitoLambruski on 01/07/14 at 11:51 AM ET

Giroux fits basically the same niche as Carter. Center and/or wing who kills penalties and registers points. Either/or there and Yzerman went for size instead of smarts. I would not have, but it’s not too too nuts.

Nash is the real head-scratcher. He’s one-dimensional, his Olympic record is spotty at best and he visibly looks like a lazy, soft piece of **** that doesn’t do anything beyond turning the puck over and skating lazy arcs around the ice on most nights.

James Neal, Tyler Seguin, Taylor Hall, Martin St Louis…all better choices. Hell, I’d take Evander Kane before I took Nash. At least he’s fast, hardworking and goes to the net.

Nash, along with Tallinder in Sweden, dethrone Brooks Orpik as the stupidest selection of an NHL player to an Olympic team.

Canada’s defense does look formidable, though.

Posted by larry on 01/07/14 at 04:09 PM ET

Either/or there and Yzerman went for size instead of smarts.

It’s possible that Babcock lobbied for Carter.  He loves his righties on the point during the power play.

Posted by Garth on 01/07/14 at 05:25 PM ET

Hamhuis makes it because
a) He’s a left shot and Babcock was adamant that he wanted 4 left and 4 right shots on defense.
b) there’s concern about Seabrook’s speed on the big ice and in 2010 he was benched for most of the gold medal game.
I pay no attention to Calgary so I can’t speculate on Giordano.

Posted by vansteve on 01/07/14 at 06:53 PM ET