Shouldn’t The Player Decide?

Filed in: NHL Teams, New York Islanders, Non-NHL Hockey, International Hockey, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: lubomir+visnovsky

Comments

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I wish I knew more about the discussions which took place on the Olympic participation, because as far as I know, the Islanders don’t have the authority to tell Visnovsky he’s not allowed to go to Sochi.

I mean, I guess they have the authority to consider any injury he might suffer to be unprotected by the CBA/his contract, but I haven’t seen anything which clearly lays out the rules about what teams can or cannot do in terms of Olympic participation.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/06/14 at 01:59 PM ET

awould's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/06/14 at 01:59 PM ET

There seems to be a lot of key players missing this Olympics due to injury. More than I remember 4 years ago. And a few iffy players that are planning on playing - Datsyuk being my primary concern.

My opinion, if you’ve missed games in the 2-3 weeks before the Olympics, you should not be allowed to play. Too much money at risk for the team that pays your salary. Of course, the rules are the rules so it doesn’t really matter this year. If Datsyuk gets injured in Sochi and misses a good chunk of the rest of the season, he’ll be a primary topic when they talk about the rules for the next Olympics.

Posted by awould on 02/06/14 at 06:03 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by awould on 02/06/14 at 06:03 PM ET

I honestly don’t think the NHL is going to participate in 2018, but it would be nice to have the rules laid out clearly so we weren’t left to wonder about this kind of stuff.  I realize that the owners don’t want the players to go to the Olympics at all and the players feel differently, but the last CBA really did just put an addendum to the end which basically said “we’ll discuss olympic participation later, let’s get this half-season started already!”

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/06/14 at 06:43 PM ET

awould's avatar

Too much of a sticking point to screw up the CBA I imagine. Can’t blame them for putting it off, especially since the experience of the 2014 games will play into how they figure out the 2018 games. My guess is the owners would be happy to see a few key injuries this time around to give them the leverage to sit out the next 2-3 Games.

For me, I like the pros playing in the Olympics but this Datsyuk situation, as specific as it is, really shines a light on where a line should be drawn. I gotta wonder if he’d be so ready to play if the games were in South Korea, and if a guy like Stamkos wouldn’t push it a bit more if it were in Vancouver again. I definitely see the owners’ side in this.

Posted by awould on 02/06/14 at 07:12 PM ET