Report- Vanek Turns Down Islanders’ Offer

from Arthur Staple of Newsday,

It appears that Thomas Vanek's stay with the Islanders likely will not last beyond the March 5 trade deadline.

NHL sources told Newsday that Vanek, acquired from the Sabres on Oct. 27, turned down a substantial contract offer from the Isles and that general manager Garth Snow is fielding offers for the 30-year-old wing.

The offer is believed to be in the same range as Vanek's current seven-year, $50 million deal. That contract expires on June 30.

Steve Bartlett, Vanek's agent, told Newsday on Monday morning that he and Snow have not talked in the past several days. Bartlett said Vanek has not closed the door on the Islanders but added that his client "has no real deadline" to let the team know he intends to go to unrestricted free agency on July 1.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, New York Islanders, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: thomas+vanek

Comments

I do not understand the vanek situation at all.  If the rumor is true that he wants to play for the wild… there really is no way that they can afford to pay him along with parise and suter.  Who else is he going to play for that can afford to pay him 50 million a year and still have a chance to win the cup?  The islanders are almost the perfect team right now, with a bunch of young talented players who are beginning to understand how to win.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 02/03/14 at 11:44 AM ET

He said before that he would be willing to re-sign with the Isles if he goes to free agency.  Therefore, why re-sign with them now?  He hasn’t played a playoff game since 2011 (and hasn’t been beyond the first round since 2007) and the Isles aren’t going top make the playoffs this year.  By not signing now he can maybe be traded to a playoff team -helping the Isles by allowing them to get some picks or prospects for him- and then re-sign with the Isles in the off-season (at, who knows, maybe the exact same offer he just turned down).

Also, I don’t buy the rumour about the Wild.  We’re told every off-season that the big free agent wants to sign somewhere because of hometown/family/whatever reasons, but how often does that really work out?  Every player from Ontario supposedly wants to play for the Leafs, yet they still had to overpay to get David Clarkson.  Parise wanted to play in Minnesota, yet the Wild still had to shell out $98M to land him.  Everyone keeps saying that LeCavalier wants to play for Montreal, but he nixed a deal that would’ve sent him there years ago and he chose Philly as a free agent when he could’ve gone to Montreal.  I don’t see why two years at the University of Minnesota would have so much pull for Vanek.

/rant

Posted by Garth on 02/03/14 at 12:23 PM ET

Primis's avatar

/rant

Posted by Garth on 02/03/14 at 12:23 PM ET

I don’t see why a Wisconsin boy would allow himself to be swayed to play in Minnesota either but, well you know… Ryan Suter.  People do dumb things.

Is Vanek married?  And if so, where is his wife from?

Posted by Primis on 02/03/14 at 01:21 PM ET

SK77's avatar

“Vanek… won an NCAA championship in Buffalo in 2003 while playing for the University of Minnesota, and one of his teammates on that club was current Wild defenseman Keith Ballard. Vanek’s wife, Ashley, is a Minnesota native, and he makes his offseason home in the suburbs of the Twin Cities.”

So, yeah, rant on.  smile

Posted by SK77 on 02/03/14 at 01:23 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Heh…go to Minnesota. Let’s see how far they’ll get ya.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 02/03/14 at 02:54 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Not gonna lie - the idea of Vanek opposite of Datsyuk is exciting. I don’t think he’s worth the payday and I hope the wings steer clear unless it means a trade to move under performing roster players.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 02/03/14 at 03:14 PM ET

So, yeah, rant on.

Yeah, so, why bother even reading what I wrote?

There are 98 million reasons why…

And two more: Zach Parise’s dreamy eyes.

Posted by Garth on 02/03/14 at 04:30 PM ET

SK77's avatar

So, yeah, rant on.

Yeah, so, why bother even reading what I wrote?

Posted by Garth on 02/03/14 at 04:30 PM ET

Well because I never know until I get to the end of one of your posts whether or not I agree, disagree, or don’t have an opinion with regards to what you wrote.

In this particular case I think Vanek actually does have a strong tie to the area due to family and offseason living.

What I think is total horseshiet – and I think you touched upon it and would agree – is when it comes to reports about big free agent signings in Canada. They talk about guys like Vinny playing in Montréal and Stamkos playing in Toronto, even though neither player has ever expressed a desire to and the only ties to the area are the local sportswriters making crap up.

Posted by SK77 on 02/03/14 at 05:05 PM ET