Kukla's Korner Hockey
by Paul on 01/16/14 at 10:39 AM ET
DUCKS CONTINUE TO FLY HIGH
The Ducks scored a franchise-record nine goals, including six via the power play, to improve to 18-1-0 in their past 19 games, joining the 1967-68 Canadiens as the only teams in NHL history to win 18 of 19 contests. The Canadiens went on to win 20 of 21 games from Jan. 6-Feb. 22, 1968, en route to capturing the Stanley Cup, the first of back-to-back championships.
* The Ducks set franchise records for goals and power-play goals in a single game. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, the last team to score six power-play goals in a game was the Sharks on Jan. 4, 2007, in a 9-4 victory over the Red Wings.
* The Ducks improved to 20-0-2 this season at Honda Center, matching the 2008-09 Sharks for the longest home points streak to open a season in the past 34 years. They also are the fourth team in the last 40 NHL seasons to record points in each of their first 22 or more home games of a season.
LONGEST HOME POINTS STREAKS TO START A SEASON, SINCE 1973-74
1979-80 Flyers: 26^ (19-0-7)
1978-79 Islanders: 23 (19-0-4)
2013-14 Ducks: 22 (20-0-2)
2008-09 Sharks: 22 (20-0-2)
^ NHL record
* The Ducks lead the NHL with a 36-8-5 record (77 points) through 49 games, marking the deepest point of a season the team has been atop the League standings (previously, 48 games in 2006-07).
* Seven Ducks recorded multi-point games, led by Corey Perry’s 2-2—4 performance.
* Teemu Selanne posted 2-1—3, including the 110th game-winning goal of his career to tie Brett Hull for fourth all-time. Both of Selanne’s goals came via the power play, giving him 255 for his career – third all-time and 10 behind Hull for second place. With 682 total goals, Selanne ranks 11th in NHL history, eight behind Mario Lemieux for 10th place.
* Nick Bonino scored a pair of power-play goals, giving him 15-20—35 in 49 games this season – all career highs. Bonino had 11-22—33 in 112 career games prior to 2013-14.
* Rookie Frederik Andersen made 31 saves to improve to 11-2-0 with a 1.98 goals-against average and .927 save percentage in 13 appearances this season.
* The Ducks next face the Blackhawks, the No. 2 team in the NHL standings, on Friday at United Center. NHL Network will televise the game in both the U.S. and Canada.
MAATTA, PENGUINS MAKE IT LUCKY 13
Olli Maatta scored the tiebreaking goal with 1:54 remaining in regulation to help the Penguins overcome a trio of one-goal deficits en route to picking up their 13th consecutive home victory, a franchise record.
* The Penguins improved to 14-2-1 in their last 17 games overall, including a 5-0-1 mark in their past six. They lead the Eastern Conference and rank third in the NHL with a 34-12-2 record (70 points) this season.
* Marc-Andre Fleury made 25 saves to earn his League-leading 27th victory of the season. He is 31-3-0 in his last 34 home decisions dating to Feb. 2, 2013, including 10 consecutive wins.
* Sidney Crosby collected an assist to extend his home points streak to 17 games (8-18—26). He has registered at least one point in 22 of 23 games this season at CONSOL Energy Center, totaling a League-leading 25 assists and 36 points on home ice.
* Jussi Jokinen scored the game-tying goal and now has 4-7—11 in his past nine games.
* The Penguins improved to 7-1-0 in their last eight meetings with the Capitals, including six consecutive victories.
TEAM ORR WINS TOP PROSPECTS GAME
Jared McCann, the No. 11-ranked North American skater in NHL Central Scouting’s mid-season rankings, scored with 3:29 remaining in regulation to lift Team Orr to a 4-3 victory over Team Cherry in the 2014 BMO CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game at Scotiabank Saddledome in Calgary.
“I definitely haven’t scored a bigger goal,” said McCann. “It’s amazing.”
* Click here for a full recap of the game.
* Click here for NHL Central Scouting’s mid-season rankings.
The Maple Leafs scored on all three of their shootout attempts to earn their third consecutive victory and League-leading ninth win this season via the shootout . . . Capitals captain Alex Ovechkin scored his League-leading 34th goal of the season and now has 4-3—7 over his past seven games . . . Sabres forward Zemgus Girgensons recorded a career-high 13 hits, the most by a rookie since Islanders forward Matt Martin had 14 versus the Maple Leafs on March 8, 2011 (Elias) . . . Sabres forward Cody Hodgson scored his 10th goal of the season to reach 100 career points . . . Ducks captain Ryan Getzlaf posted his 400th NHL assist . . . Capitals forward Joel Ward played in his 400th career game . . . Canucks goaltender Joacim Eriksson made his NHL debut, recording 25 saves on 31 shots . . . The Oilers made a pair of trades, acquiring forward Matt Hendricks from the Predators in exchange for goaltender Devan Dubnyk and also acquiring goaltender Ben Scrivens from the Kings in exchange for a third-round pick in the 2014 NHL Draft . . . Jamie Langenbrunner announced his retirement from the NHL following a 16-season career. The 38-year-old forward compiled 243-420—663 over 1,109 games with the Stars, Devils and Blues, capturing the Stanley Cup with the Stars in 1999 and Devils in 2003.
SNEAK PEEK AT THURSDAY’S ACTION
All Times Eastern
Detroit @ NY Rangers, 7:00 p.m., FS-D, MSG 2
Nashville @ Philadelphia, 7:00 p.m., FS-TN, CSN-PH
Montreal @ Ottawa, 7:30 p.m., TSN, RDS
NY Islanders @ Tampa Bay, 7:30 p.m., MSG PLUS, SUN
San Jose @ Florida, 7:30 p.m., CSN-CA, FS-F
Los Angeles @ St. Louis, 8:00 p.m., NBCSN, TSN2
Edmonton @ Minnesota, 8:00 p.m., SNET-W, FS-N
Boston @ Dallas, 8:30 p.m., NESN, FS-SW
New Jersey @ Colorado, 9:00 p.m., MSG PLUS 2, ALT
Winnipeg @ Calgary, 9:00 p.m., TSN-JETS, SNET-W, SNET-CGY
Vancouver @ Phoenix, 9:00 p.m., SNET-P, FS-A
Be the first to comment.
Add a Comment
Please limit embedded image or media size to 575 pixels wide.
Most Recent Blog Posts
About Kukla's Korner Hockey
Paul Kukla founded Kukla’s Korner in 2005 and the site has since become the must-read site on the ‘net for all the latest happenings around the NHL.
From breaking news to in-depth stories around the league, KK Hockey is updated with fresh stories all day long and will bring you the latest news as quickly as possible.
Email Paul anytime at email@example.com