Morning Line

On whether he had a good vantage point of the goaltender interference call on Trevor Lewis:
“You know, I didn’t because I was watching Richards shoot it. I find it very tough to believe with a player as intelligent as Trevor Lewis that he’d run the goalie. I asked him. He said he got pushed from behind. I believe him, and I’m disappointed that the refs had enough confidence to make a gutsy call like that in the last whatever, 30 seconds in the period. It’s pretty impressive when you have enough gall to guess, because I’m going to look at the tape and I’m going to see if he got pushed, because I know what it’s like to drive the net. Sometimes it happens.”

-Dustin Penner of the LA Kings via Jon Rosen of LA Kings Insider

Watch the interference call below, I have advanced the video to the time when the play started...

Filed in: NHL Teams, Los Angeles Kings, San Jose Sharks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: dustin+penner

Comments

Hootinani's avatar

Well, believe Penner, cause he ran the goalie.  He made no effort to try and avoid the goalie, and really gave the refs no choice but to make the call.

Posted by Hootinani on 05/19/13 at 10:18 AM ET

shanetx's avatar

Quick got a misconduct for abuse of an official after the game.  He HAS to sit a couple, right?

Oh, he plays for the second biggest market in the league?  No suspension then!

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 05/19/13 at 10:24 AM ET

perfection's avatar

that was the right call. he was definitely ridden a bit from behind but not only did he make no effort to avoid the goalie, you can see pretty clearly that he lowers his shoulder and leans into the goalie. he’s definitely trying to get a big piece of him because he thinks it won’t be called in that situation. it’s true, the ref had no choice but to make the call.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 05/19/13 at 10:32 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Well, believe Penner

Was supposed to be “believe it, Penner”, but I’m a bit of a tard in the mornings.

And for short periods of time in the afternoons

And then occasionally after midnight on the weekends

Posted by Hootinani on 05/19/13 at 11:12 AM ET

After how game two ended that the Kings called the refs integrity into play shows they believe they are now longer held to the same standard as their opponents.
He had no idea he was that close to Niemi. He was looking for a tip and didn’t judge how close he was to the crease. There was no push from Marleau, he simply stayed on his man but had better awareness of where he was on the ice.

Posted by jpsf on 05/19/13 at 02:37 PM ET

Could have actually called him for a headshot and suspended him, but that won’t happen since Niemi was not injured.  The principle point of contact sure looks like it was Niemi’s head, and the contact with Niemi was deliberate.

Posted by RoneFace on 05/19/13 at 04:29 PM ET