Just Enjoy The Game

Do you agree with Bob McKenzie?

I know Twitter is great for delivering the latest news, but in-game tweets are really hard to follow.  He shoots, he saves, he hits, plus pictures of ice, etc. are in my mind not needed.

Filed in: NHL Teams, NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: bob+mckenzie

Comments

I’m not a twitter guy in general, but speaking specifically I’ve never understood the appeal of live tweeting something.

Posted by Garth on 10/22/13 at 11:48 AM ET

Zqto's avatar

I kinda agree

I love to read the live blogs, but I dont understand how you guys post so much on them, while I have my eyes stuck on the screen!

Might be because I watch the games on my PC, so I cant watch it and post at the same time, though

Posted by Zqto on 10/22/13 at 11:49 AM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by Garth on 10/22/13 at 11:48 AM ET

Agreed, and Bob is right on the money here.

The need for people to be “FIRST!!!!!11111” with everything is mind boggling… I wonder what would happen if everyone just stopped “twatting” for a day?

Oh, the world would keep turning? Imagine that.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 10/22/13 at 11:59 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

I’m active on twitter for social issues and education policy discussion, but not hockey.

It’s weird to me to want to consume so much real time data on bread and circuses (albeit bread and circuses that I love) instead of just watching the game. It would be about the same as someone live tweeting their dinner and me thinking that somehow I shared that meal. Just watch the game.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 10/22/13 at 12:00 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Twitter is the experience you choose to make it at any given point.

I’d suggest to journalists who, by their nature have to follow a ton of people, that they should probably create separate accounts with custom-built follows or even build a list of people only to follow in-game.

If you’re not enjoying Twitter, that’s fine, but you’re doing it wrong complaining about the stuff that’s on there when you’re the person who decides what you see.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/22/13 at 12:04 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Agreed J.J. and as I just tweeted, they could also use a hashtag like #ingame which would allow many followers to mute those tweets.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/22/13 at 12:06 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I wonder what would happen if everyone just stopped “twatting” for a day?

The same thing that would happen if people stopped hitting refresh on liveblogs.

Because they’re the same thing.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/22/13 at 12:10 PM ET

I usually use intermissions to check my twitter feed for further insight on the game I’m watching or to see what’s going on elsewhere but other than that I just watch the damn game.

Posted by dwgs on 10/22/13 at 12:20 PM ET

I definitely agree with Bob although I have a completely different issue to contend with game in, game out while watching the Pens.  I despise our TV announcing duo in Paul Steigerwald and Bob Errey.  Enormous homers, corny jokes, try to predict things all game long and should they eventually be right, you’ll be sure to hear about it.  All while our Hall of Fame announcer Mike Lange continues to call the game brilliantly on the radio side.  I occasionally turn him on and mute the TV but the delay is tough to stomach.  Fox Sports Pittsburgh fired Mike Lange years ago because he asked for a larger paycheck that he most definitely deserved.  The Pens immediately signed him on for the radio side, just hours after he was fired.

Posted by Geno71 on 10/22/13 at 12:29 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Garth on 10/22/13 at 11:48 AM ET

Twitter has this magical way of taking something awful and turning it into something bearable.  At the end of the day, that’s Twitter’s niche in sports honestly.

It’s not for everyone, and that’s fine.  Aside from in-game injury updates though, there’s very little to glean from it.  However, as a fan experience, Twitter can be great.  It can be reminder, as your team is getting pasted, that you and other fans can laugh at your team or yourselves.  It also can be handy to keep up with 2 or 3 different games at once.

Posted by Primis on 10/22/13 at 12:37 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

I don’t tweet and I doubt I ever will. I have enough going on and enough sources of news outlets to not need a paragraph of info relayed through multiple posts of 140 charaters or less.

Though the same but different, I do however enjoy the live blogs for the camaraderie. The live blog is like a crowd of people gathering in the local pub to catch the game. There’s drinks and conversation and comment on the game all from the living room couch with no worries about a DUI (because, god forbid, we don’t have a GD viable public transit system, so we have to drive every fookin where to the nearest “sports” bar that is like at least 5 miles away packed with narcissistic douche bags to watch a game on the tiny screen at the end of the bar because the football and/or basketball game gets all the big screens, but I digress).

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 10/22/13 at 12:58 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 10/22/13 at 12:58 PM ET

Twitter, if you follow the right people, is a liveblog except you get to see and interact a little with fans of the other team too, and even find out what 3rd parties think of things.

When a penatly call is crap, you know how a liveblog is going to react.  It’s sometimes interesting though to see fans of the OTHER team think it’s a complete crap call too.  Or to see and read what they think of their team and players at the same time.  It can be enlightening and honestly it sometimes makes me re-evaluate the notion that all sports fans are just crazy and unreasonable.

You absolutely have to “filter” things yourself still (like the $#&* who made the crude comment about Max Scherzer after the Tigers were eliminated and got RT’d around), but truthfully no moreso than you need to on a liveblog (which usually has its own trolls still who spew no less-stupid stuff).  If your only exposure is ever to liveblogs, it can all get a bit incestuous to one’s thinking because all you’re ever getting is serious bias.

Posted by Primis on 10/22/13 at 01:11 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by Zqto on 10/22/13 at 11:49 AM ET

I have to agree with Zqto. I’ve long admired those who can actually keep up with the action on the ice while typing one comment after another.

As for tweets? The only time I’ve ever seen any value in tweets is at the trade deadline.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 10/22/13 at 02:13 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I think there is a time and a place for it, and my days of being glued to the TV for Wings games are long gone, simply due to availability.  That being said, for me there would definitely be times when I could use Twitter for some game updates if I am out to dinner, grabbing a drink at a bar where the game isn’t on, or hanging out with the in-laws and unable to watch the game.

I haven’t used Twitter for these purposes, but then again, I’ve never used Twitter - save the random occasions I’d look at Mike Commodore’s profile.

Posted by TreKronor on 10/22/13 at 03:07 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

There still seems to be a disconnect among people who aren’t familiar with Twitter about what actually happens there.

You know what I’m reading immediately after goals and during stoppages of play on the live-updating 140-character at a time worldwide constant liveblog that is Twitter?

I’m reading @Whoabot and @TheTripleDeke cracking jokes about the game I also happen to be watching, just like we were all three sitting together at a bar.

I’m reading @AnthraxJones make some pithy remark about the Penguins from another game and laughing.

I’m watching @GeorgeMalik provide essentially live-running color commentary/analysis which rivals that of just about any on-air guy

Every once in a while, a national guy pops in with something, but by that time at night? Hell, most of them aren’t even on the damn thing and those who are generally aren’t providing anything resembling news or play-by-play.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/22/13 at 06:09 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/22/13 at 06:09 PM ET

You make a compelling case to at least give in-game Twitter a try. Problem for me is that it would just add one more thing to have to keep up with. Until I start getting paid for internet participation, I’d have to give something up in order to change to something new. At this point I’m not sure what I’d want to trade.

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 10/23/13 at 09:15 AM ET