It’s All About The Game For Gary Bettman

from Sportsnet,

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said he doesn't anticipate stepping down from the job he's held for three decades anytime soon.

"If I wake up in the morning and I'm not excited about what I've got to do and what lays ahead of me for that day, I shouldn't be doing this anymore," Bettman said during an appearance Tuesday on the Marchand and Ourand sports media podcast.

Bettman, who turns 70 on June 2, has been commissioner of the NHL since Feb. 1, 1993. When asked on the podcast what criteria would have to be met for him to want to step down, he said he needs two things to be successful: the continued support of the league's owners and good health to foster the "energy and the desire and the passion" for the game.

He cited his recent week as an indication he still has that energy and passion: He went from Carolina to Montreal for Guy Lafleur's funeral, to Calgary to Edmonton to South Florida to Tampa, finishing up on Tuesday in New York for meetings after getting back at 4 a.m.

"Even when I was in my 20s, that would be a pretty good trek," he said. "When I can't do that anymore because I don't feel physically or mentally up to it, (if) it doesn't excite me to be at games...

"(I)t's about the game, it's about how I feel about the game and my connection to it that will determine how long I do it. Obviously, I can't do it forever. But I'm enjoying the run."

continued

Filed in: NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Hootinani's avatar

Dammit Paul, either you or Bettman owe me a new phone after the spit take I did reading that title.

Posted by Hootinani on 05/18/22 at 04:07 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

Anyone enjoy having to have a couple different services to get all the games and the blackouts that make it a crapshoot even if its listed? The announcers on some channels have been what you’re stuck with rather than who you might prefer to listen to the game call.

A player safety dept that is questionable at best. Refs that aren’t consistent. Allowing the Penguins to blast that stupid trumpet during play. The rest of the teams stop the music during play. If there isn’t a rule against it there should be.

Bah…. There is a reason he gets booed when he makes an appearance.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 05/18/22 at 04:10 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

What a crock. It’s not about the game for him it’s about the money period. If he has ever even been on skates and played hockey I would be surprised. Ads on sweaters, ads on the ice, exclusive viewing rights sold to the highest bidder, no games at all on broadcast TV so far in the playoffs, allowing gambling partners to broadcast the games.

A player safety dept that is questionable at best. Refs that aren’t consistent.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 05/18/22 at 04:13 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

Damn phone and having to re-login copy and paste killed my post. Oh well.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 05/18/22 at 04:15 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Bettman will quit when he stops enjoying being loudly booed at any event where fans are present.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/18/22 at 06:26 PM ET

Chet's avatar

The Arizona disaster alone would have any other commissioner out. So bizarre.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 05/18/22 at 07:07 PM ET

The Arizona disaster alone would have any other commissioner out. So bizarre.

Not really, he’s made a ton of money for his bosses, the owners despite the mess in Arizona.

Posted by evileye on 05/19/22 at 10:49 AM ET

Steeb's avatar

Say what you want about Li’l Gary, but keep in mind that everything he’s doing is in the best interests of the NBA.

Posted by Steeb on 05/19/22 at 12:41 PM ET