Is Connor McDavid Really Happy In Edmonton?

from Cathal Kelly of the Globe and Mail,

Four years into the Connor McDavid era, McDavid kept getting better and the Edmonton Oilers kept getting worse. No one seemed more confused by this turn of events than the man at the middle of it.

A general conversation began to emerge in the NHL – does McDavid need rescuing? Is there something the army can do? Doesn’t it have helicopters and experience with human extraction?

McDavid – the companiest company man in the NHL – laughed off those questions, too.

“I want to be here,” he said. “If I didn’t want to be here, I wouldn’t have signed an eight-year deal.”

It sounded believable. Almost.

Now that he’s had the summer to think about it, McDavid doesn’t sound any more sure about things.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Edmonton Oilers, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: connor+mcdavid

Comments

Down River Dan's avatar

I guess it’s a sign that I’m becoming that old guy yelling at kids to ..“get off my lawn!”..., but man I’m really tired of hearing how sad it is that Connor McDavid is stuck in Edmonton and won’t make the playoffs….how he deserves better…he needs rescuing.

No one is guaranteed anything in life. The best teams dont always win, and sometimes great players languish in obscurity on awful teams and never win a championship. Marcel Dionne was generational talent who was drafted by a team equally or more incompetent, inept, and bad as the Oilers. He then spent the majority of his career in L.A. playing terrific hockey.

The Oilers have been a dysfunctional organization since he was drafted, and may now slowly be begining a turn around. Perhaps in hindsight instead of taking $13 mil. per season, he may have signed for a little less and left some money to help surround himself with better talent?? Who knows, but he’s a great player who is getting paid a great salary, and he earns that big salary, but no one is guaranteed a championship team.

I sure wish the media would stop portraying this as such a awful and heartbreaking situation. Not everyone gets a medal at the end of the day.

Now….” Get off my lawn!!”.... sick

Posted by Down River Dan on 08/27/19 at 10:21 AM ET

This.

McDavid signed a max extension to stay in Edmonton. Why are people concentrating on that more than the five-year, get-me-outta-here-as-soon-as-I-can deal that Matthews signed, taking him directly to UFA-dom?

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 08/27/19 at 10:43 AM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Ken Holland may actually straighten Edmonton out. His first good move was trading Lucic. smile

Posted by bigfrog on 08/27/19 at 11:27 AM ET

Steeb's avatar

To me it’s less of a “worrying if McJesus is happy” thing and more of a “how good could he be if he was surrounded by competent talent and how much fun would he be to watch in the playoffs consistently?” thing. I have no strong feelings about the Oilers either way, but I do wish I got to see CMcD play more often and when he’s not carrying an entire franchise on his back.

Posted by Steeb on 08/27/19 at 03:07 PM ET

Dang! I’m more interested in what teams would have to give up to bring in McJesus? No team not from Toronto would end up worse off than the oilers are now to get him. So, how is it Cathal Kelly thinks this is going to go down?

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 08/27/19 at 09:05 PM ET

How much more sure can he sound?

Yeah, if he’d taken less then maybe they would’ve been able to sign a ridiculous, stupid contract like Lucic’s.

The problem wasn’t cap space, the problem was how that cap space was used.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 08/28/19 at 08:54 AM ET