I Am Now Known As The Complaint Department For This Blogger

About once every six weeks I get an email form this person, who is blogger for a Canadian newspaper.

I have given him the opportunity to post in the KK members blog buy he never responds so today I will post what he emailed me...

Paul

Zetterberg’s stick swinging was pretty much the same deal as Kassian’s ….. except …. Zetterberg plays for the Wings, a team with one meaningful suspension of 1 game over the past 20 years or so ….. even though they have the biggest jumper / head targeter in the league with Kronwall, Shanahan’s old teammate ….. and the silly logic that if the player isn’t gravely injured, then no suspension is warranted …

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

bigdee89's avatar

Maybe it’s from Claude Lemieux?

Posted by bigdee89 from The Great White North Eh? on 11/02/13 at 08:48 AM ET

He is actually pretty accurate with his assessment.  When I see the video it is very similar.  To say Zetterberg did not see where his stick was going is ridiculous.

The idea that one person is responsible for the suspension calls is the reason why democracy was created…. favoritism is bound to occur otherwise.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 11/02/13 at 08:59 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 11/02/13 at 09:59 AM ET

Logic only a Crosby fan could appreciate. smile

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 11/02/13 at 09:02 AM ET

Paul's avatar

gtl, I have no problem with his opinion, but everything he sends me is Wing related and I have no idea why he even sends it.

He would be better off posting it himself.  It is not like I have a direct line to Shanahan to pass this on to him.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/02/13 at 09:04 AM ET

Grow the *#$%@& up and realize Zetterberg isn’t some trash dirty player. If you think Zett’s stick swing warrants a penalty then you are probably bad at hockey and bad at watching it. Yes, it’s a “high stick”, he should have gotten a penalty. Zett’s wasn’t aiming to hurt the other player, which is what Kassian’s aim was. WTF is wrong with people?

Posted by Pasha1277 on 11/02/13 at 09:05 AM ET

Correction: warrants suspension… was typing too fast b/c I get irritated at foolish comments.

Posted by Pasha1277 on 11/02/13 at 09:05 AM ET

Logic only a Crosby fan could appreciate.

Very telling tactic there RW… Me thinks you know it was suspension worthy also.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 11/02/13 at 09:13 AM ET

Grow the *#$%@& up and realize Zetterberg isn’t some trash dirty player

Huh?  No one is arguing that Zetterberg is dirty or otherwise.  Simply that swinging his stick in the fashion he did was worthy of a suspension when compared to another situation that was very similar.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 11/02/13 at 09:14 AM ET

DocF's avatar

This doofus has a severe case of Red Wings hate, does he not?  Believe me, the league has tried to figure out a way to suspend Kronwall.  The fact that he came into the league with the reputation as the biggest hitter in Europe (when he weighed maybe 160) certainly mitigates any question of his tactics.  He is a hard hitter who chooses the unwary target.

I would say that Zetterberg might get a game for this unintended high stick; he certainly did not keep his stick under control.  However, we see this sort of incident 30-40 times a season with no penalty and no suspension.

In other words, original blogger, get a grip on it.

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 11/02/13 at 09:49 AM ET

I think as most everyone has stated Zetterberg deserved a penalty. I can’t judge the intent, but it was a bad slash either way.

Posted by timbits on 11/02/13 at 09:52 AM ET

The existence of people in Canada who have a skewed perception of reality as it pertains to the Red Wings is a new and frightening experience.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 11/02/13 at 09:55 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I’m guessing this is either Robert Tychkowski or Tony Gallagher?

I know, I know. It would be inappropriate to reveal the guy’s name, but these two are the biggest whining Canadian newspaper bloggers out west.  I’m leaning more Gallagher, because he’s a big whiny Canucks blogger and they have the most reason to be whiny about this.

To say Zetterberg did not see where his stick was going is ridiculous.

I don’t agree with you at all, especially as it comes to comparing the two incidents.

Hahaha. Ok that’s gotta be Gallagher then.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/02/13 at 10:10 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

My friend Tony Gallagher often talks of conspiracy theories and how the Vancouver Canucks are the target of the NHL and its officials.

That’s John Garrett of Sportsnet, in an article that’s on the Canucks’ website.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/02/13 at 10:13 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

To say Zetterberg did not see where his stick was going is ridiculous.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 11/02/13 at 09:59 AM ET

Here’s a suggestion for you, g-t-l. Drag the GIF image to your desktop and drop it on your Quicktime player (or any video player that accepts GIFs). Then go through the sequence frame by frame.

When I did that, it looks to me like Z used his right hand to try to break his fall. As he did, his stick went straight up in the air and struck Hamhuis. I think it’s the very definition of an inadvertent high stick.

To suggest that he did it intentionally ignores the facts of the situation (including the fact that Z’s face was turned towards the ice as he fell). I think you’re seeing the event through the same anti-Wings bias that the blogger did.

I haven’t heard of any reaction from Hamhuis, but if he had the same level of class that Kronwall showed after getting boarded by McLeod, he’d admit that he could have avoided getting high-sticked if he had been watching what was happening right in front of him instead of looking farther up ice.

...a team with one meaningful suspension of 1 game over the past 20 years or so.

I guess the blogger was in his “I hate the Wings” cave when Smith was ridiculously suspended for five games for accidentally running into Ben Smith back in 2011. But, then, facts never really get in the way of any hater’s anti-Wings bias.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 11/02/13 at 10:28 AM ET

shanetx's avatar

Don’t forget the Wings getting a top line forward suspended in the PLAYOFFS.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 11/02/13 at 12:26 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Maybe the wings will pick Kaleta off of waivers just to even out the suspension numbers. There’s a reason there aren’t a lot of Red Wings suspensions - they play a cleaner game than most teams.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 11/02/13 at 12:29 PM ET

I don’t think it was anything like Kassian’s stick swing. Was indistinguishable from the one James Neal was fined for, however, apart from Zetterberg not having the excuse of “guys was slewfooting me.”

Posted by larry on 11/02/13 at 01:19 PM ET

DrewBehr's avatar

Forgetting Datsyuk’s suspension for missing the all-star game…

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 11/02/13 at 06:42 PM ET