Goodbye Corey Perry

from Mark Whicker of the LA Daily News,

Finally, those who doubted Corey Perry’s hockey future might be right.

It just took 14 seasons, four All-Star games and 372 goals.

They might not be right either.

The Ducks bought out Perry’s contract Wednesday. He had lost a step while the NHL had gained two. He wasn’t a first-line player anymore. Nobody inside the franchise could stomach watching him play on the fourth.

The quickest way to feel old is to watch Perry, 34, grow old, because he always played like Ryan Getzlaf’s rambunctious little brother. They were born six days apart, and Perry kept going where he didn’t belong, emerging with a goal, a welt and a smirk. That was his personal hat trick.

“People didn’t realize he was such a big guy,” said Sean O’Donnell, who played with and against Perry and shared that Stanley Cup in 2007. “But he had that baby face and that little head. He’d go to the net and stay there no matter what you did to him, and he’d figure out a way to score and you never knew how he did it.

“You loved him as a teammate because he would do anything to win. You didn’t like him as an opponent because he was a pain in the butt.”

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Anaheim Ducks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: corey+perry

Comments

OlderThanChelios's avatar

It was that “smirk” that I always hated. Just like Marchand, he always looked like he knew he just got away with something. He’s sort of like Rachel Maddow on skates.  LOL

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 06/20/19 at 09:40 AM ET

Ajax19's avatar

It will be very strange to see Corey Perry playing for someone other than the Ducks.

Posted by Ajax19 on 06/20/19 at 09:54 AM ET

blammo's avatar

Great article. Love to hate Perry. Now I’m sad he’s gone…

Posted by blammo from Vancouver, BC on 06/20/19 at 10:06 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Frank Seravalli of TSN,

“It stings,” Perry told TSN in his first public comments. “How many guys have played 1,000 games with one team? Not many. I sit here and say, well, with some of the injuries, I would’ve already been there. I was so close.”

With the Ducks embarking on a rebuild, Perry said he wasn’t entirely surprised by the decision. The 2011 Hart Trophy winner knew changes were coming. Ducks GM Bob Murray called it one of the toughest decisions he’s made in 44 years in the NHL.

“It was just one of those things. When I was told, I didn’t expect that to come out of their mouths,” Perry said. “I respect their decision. It’s tough when you’ve been there for so long, it’s all you know. But I don’t have a bad word to say about the Ducks and how they’ve treated me over the years. Everyone in the organization was good to me.”

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/20/19 at 11:31 AM ET

dreamsofhope's avatar

“But I don’t have a bad word to say about the Ducks and how they’ve treated me over the years. Everyone in the organization was good to me.”

Gotta give kudos here…. he may be a dirty player, but to say that after getting bought out shows he isn’t completely void of integrity. Well done Perry. Best wishes against anyone but the Wings… maybe Holland will set you up real nice in Edmonton.

Posted by dreamsofhope from Colorado on 06/20/19 at 12:04 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

I still Love that Pavel manhandled Perry in their fight:

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 06/20/19 at 12:05 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

I still Love that Pavel manhandled Perry in their fight:

Me too. That’s what I’ll always remember. “Tough guy” Perry was dummied by a much smaller player who never fights.
Perry was, is and will always be a rat. Good riddance.

Posted by Hank1974 on 06/20/19 at 12:34 PM ET

I hope whoever signs him ends up 31st in the standings and that three teams skip over them by winning the lottery.

F*ck Perry and f*ck anyone who signs that rat.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 06/20/19 at 01:11 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

That Perry/Datsyuk video took me to this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE1ksKyzm5k

Probert was a freaking beast.  He punched the Buffalo goalies helmet right off his head.  Yzerman was no pushover either.

Perry though - wonder if another team will sign him.

Posted by TreKronor on 06/20/19 at 01:51 PM ET

No sympathy for this dirtbag.

Posted by xcheck28 on 06/20/19 at 01:53 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Perry though - wonder if another team will sign him.

Thread hijack!!

This is what made Probie and that era so different. While my thoughts on fighting have changed over the years, there’s no disputing that fighting could play a large role in policing the game and keeping stars safe ‘back in the day’.
Probie had no qualms knocking out anyone who looked at Stevie the wrong way; goalies, star players, tough guys, senior citizens etc.
You crossed the line, you paid the price.
Eventually, goons would only fight other goons which didn’t keep rats in line. But that’s a discush for another day.

“damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit”‘s avatar is the cover of the Probie documentary “Tough Guy”.
The doc is based off his book, of the same name, but there are a few extra tidbits in the documentary.
Great viewing if you have Amazon Prime.

P.S. Bring back the Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich to LCA!!! This isn’t Russia!

Posted by Hank1974 on 06/20/19 at 02:00 PM ET