Crosby Receives Celebrity Treatment At Pennsylvania DMV Office

from Amy McConnell Schaarsmith of the Pittsburgh Posg-Gazette,

You know the Department of Motor Vehicles drill. You took a half day off work to renew your driver's license during business hours. Inside the DMV office, dozens of fellow would-be motorists with glazed expressions sprawl in rows of hard plastic chairs, their bored and cranky children squalling the misery felt by all. And there's no telling how long you will wait.

Unless you are Pittsburgh Penguins captain Sidney Crosby, or a "celebrity" of equal fame and disruption potential, that is.

In that case, as Mr. Crosby demonstrated to amazed patrons of the Duncan Manor DMV office in McCandless Friday morning, you get to skip to the front of the line, taking care of business in minutes while mere mortals -- including fans -- wait as they must.

Some of those fans said Friday they don't mind their hero enjoying the state's policy of preferential treatment for celebrities, which is meant to keep disruption to a minimum. But others said the double standard sends the wrong message that a famous person is more important than the average human.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: sidney+crosby

Comments

Fugazi's avatar

Mr Crosby? WTF the kid’s 26 years old.

Posted by Fugazi from Bay Area, Left Coast on 08/10/13 at 01:48 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

There are systems in plenty of places right now (including podunk Kansas) which allows people to virtually wait in line anonymously. They’re given text alerts when they’re coming up.

If PennDOT has this system, then Crosby could wait in line like everybody else, but the thought of being in an hours-long wait at the DMV and then being bothered by the whole place filling up with legions of dummy fans because somebody tweeted his location isn’t something that I think would make things personally better for me.

I’d rather let a celebrity cut me and have my wait time extended by five minutes than make him wait behind me and have the whole place turn into a zoo.  This applies whether it’s Crosby or Datsyuk going to get a renewal.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/10/13 at 01:58 PM ET

Well, now we know where Evilpens works.

Good point J.J.  It would also reduce the time that we were in the same space.

Posted by Mistercristo from Cameron Frye's garage, circa 1987 on 08/10/13 at 02:35 PM ET

igrover's avatar

I thought that since the cry baby was living in Mario’s basement that Mario’s limousine was available to take him to the Toys R US for new toys.

Posted by igrover on 08/10/13 at 04:01 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

umm it is a Pa. law sorry Beavis & Butthead ! so let him sit there for an hour while everyone mobs him for autographs?? mind you I think this is a stupid *#$%@& law, BUT it is a law

Posted by Evilpens on 08/11/13 at 02:52 PM ET

You know the Department of Motor Vehicles drill. You took a half day off work to renew your driver’s license during business hours. Inside the DMV office, dozens of fellow would-be motorists with glazed expressions sprawl in rows of hard plastic chairs, their bored and cranky children squalling the misery felt by all. And there’s no telling how long you will wait.

I don’t know if Amy McConnell Schaarsmith is from another state or doesn’t have a driver’s license or what, but the process of renewing a driver’s license does not take half a day in Allegheny County.

I did this myself at the downtown office not long ago (which is most likely busier than one in friggin Cranberry, of all places), during business hours, and I was out in and out in 15 minutes. Had much the same experience every other time I renewed my license at other offices. Renewing an existing license is a very streamlined process at PennDOT in Allegheny county.

Posted by larry on 08/12/13 at 04:33 PM ET