Kukla's Korner

Kukla's Korner Hockey

Commercial Time For Game 7 Of The Stanley Cup Final

from John Ourand of SportsBusiness Daily,

The general ad sales rule when it comes to the postseason is that networks break even on a five-game series and start to make money when a series gets extended to six games. A seven-game series? That’s all gravy. As the Stanley Cup Final heads to Game 7 on Wednesday for the first time in eight years, I reached out to NBC Sports to see just how hectic the atmosphere is inside their ad sales office. As you would expect, the staff spent today actively selling Game 7 -- a process that will continue right up until the puck is dropped. NBC execs will be watching ABC tonight, as well. If the NBA Finals ends in Toronto after Game 5, they expect to see even more advertisers in the market looking at Blues-Bruins Game 7.

NBC says that roughly 25% of its Game 7 ad sales inventory is pre-sold, mostly to traditional NHL sponsors. Like all other Game 7s, the network’s ad sales execs are scrambling to sell the remaining 75%. All networks also use their Game 6 and 7 inventory to provide “make-goods” -- which are advertiser credits for underperforming shows elsewhere on the schedule.

more SCF notes along with other sports...

Filed in: NHL Talk, NHL Media, | KK Hockey | Permalink
 

Comments

Be the first to comment.

Add a Comment

Please limit embedded image or media size to 575 pixels wide.

Add your own avatar by joining Kukla's Korner, or logging in and uploading one in your member control panel.

Captchas bug you? Join KK or log in and you won't have to bother.

Smileys

Notify me of follow-up comments?

Feed

Most Recent Blog Posts

About Kukla's Korner Hockey

Paul Kukla founded Kukla’s Korner in 2005 and the site has since become the must-read site on the ‘net for all the latest happenings around the NHL.

From breaking news to in-depth stories around the league, KK Hockey is updated with fresh stories all day long and will bring you the latest news as quickly as possible.

Email Paul anytime at pk@kuklaskorner.com