Claude Giroux Plans To Play Tonight

from Frank Seravalli of TSN,

Less than 48 hours after cameras appeared to capture him unconscious on the ice after his head bounced off the boards, Flyers captain Claude Giroux said he will be in the lineup against the Winnipeg Jets on Monday night.

Giroux did not participate in the Flyers’ optional morning skate.

“I think there wasn’t even a question of me playing tonight or not,” Giroux said. “I feel fine. It wasn’t a fun incident, but I’m lucky that I felt pretty good. I was a little shaken up. But I think I gained the rest and I feel pretty good. I wanted to finish the game, but it was safe to make sure I got off there.”

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Philadelphia Flyers, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: claude+giroux

Comments

Primis's avatar

The “concussion protocol” is a joke.  No way should he be playing after that.  The league should step in an tell the Flyers “Umm, no”.

According to the American Academy of Neurology, any loss of consciousness for any length of time is considered an automatic Grade III concussion, the most severe on the scale.

Posted by Primis on 03/28/16 at 12:31 PM ET

Anyone else watch that replay and think Giroux threw himself into the boards trying to buy a call and perhaps hurt himself in doing so?

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 03/28/16 at 12:43 PM ET

aerodude's avatar

One more blow while his brain is still swollen from that hit and he will be just like Franzen or worse. Not a good idea to come back so soon.

Posted by aerodude on 03/28/16 at 01:40 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I admire him for being so passionate about this, but it’s not worth the future health risks.  He was knocked out cold.

Posted by TreKronor on 03/28/16 at 02:05 PM ET

Posted by Garth on 03/28/16 at 02:06 PM ET

Mistercristo's avatar

Posted by Mistercristo from Cameron Frye's garage, circa 1987 on 03/28/16 at 04:24 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

The “concussion protocol” is a joke

Why doesn’t Giroux or any other concussed player get an exam from a independent doctor and results sent to NHL.

Flyers are IDIOTS