Carter Ashton Suspended 20 Games For Violating Terms Of Performance Enhancing Program

NEW YORK (Nov. 6, 2014) – Toronto Maple Leafs forward Carter Ashton has been suspended for 20 games, without pay, for violating the terms of the NHL/NHLPA Performance Enhancing Substances Program.

Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the suspension is accompanied by mandatory referral to the NHL/NHLPA Program for Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health for evaluation and possible treatment.

Based on his average annual salary, Ashton will forfeit $169,185.

The National Hockey League will have no further comment on this matter.

Below, from Carter Ashton via the NHLPA...

Statement from Carter Ashton

“I suffered an asthmatic spasm in late August while in a training session getting prepared for the 2014-15 NHL season. One of the other athletes I was training with gave me an inhaler in order to help open my airway, which provided me with immediate relief from my asthma attack.  I kept this inhaler and used it a second time early in the training camp upon experiencing another asthma episode. Unfortunately, I incorrectly assumed that there were no problems associated with the use of this inhaler and I used it without checking to see whether its contents were permissible under the NHL/NHLPA Performance Enhancing Substances Program.

I now recognize that I ingested Clenbuterol, a prohibited substance, through the inhaler. However, at no time was I seeking to gain an athletic advantage or to knowingly violate the terms of the program. I used the inhaler in response to exercise-induced asthma, a condition that my doctor with the Toronto Maple Leafs has since diagnosed and he has prescribed me with an inhaler.

As a professional hockey player, I recognize that I am responsible for what I put into my body, and I will not appeal my suspension. While I am extremely disappointed that I have let my teammates, our fans and the Maple Leafs organization down, I will work very hard during my suspension to stay in game shape so that I can help out the team when I am able to return.”

Filed in: NHL Teams, Toronto Maple Leafs, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: carter+ashton

Comments

TreKronor's avatar

This is silly.

Guy #1 uses an inhaler with a “banned substance”, gets 20 game suspension.

Guy #2 gives an illegal check to another and gives him concussion, Guy #2 gets 5 game suspension.

Posted by TreKronor on 11/06/14 at 05:16 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

And yet again, common sense takes its usual seat in the back.  The league is run by the same type of jackasses that make good congressman.

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 11/06/14 at 05:50 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

NHL & common sense?? surely you jest ?

Posted by Evilpens on 11/06/14 at 05:56 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Marty Biron on this topic via twitter…

Regarding Ashton’s suspension, I had exercise-induced asthma and used a puffer. All you need is a Therapeutic Use Exemption from your doc

more tweets on this from Biron….

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/06/14 at 05:59 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

The other big question in this issue is that Clenbuterol is not approved for human consumption in the US and I don’t believe it’s approved for it in Canada either.

According to Carter Ashton, he took an inhaler with an unknown substance at the recommendation of a person entirely unqualified to prescribe it for him.

THEN, Carter Ashton kept hat inhaler and several weeks later used it again.

I don’t know about you folks, but if I have an episode where my chest refuses to work right and I have to be given an inhaler by a fellow athlete to make it stop terrifying me, one of my first steps after that is going to be at the doctor’s.

There’s a lot about this story that isn’t as simple as “common sense.”  Carter Ashton signed a contract subject to the CBA rules which explicitly state he’s responsible for knowing what he’s putting into himself.  I’d cut him a lot more slack if it weren’t for the second usage.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/06/14 at 06:36 PM ET

shazam88's avatar

Oh golly, if he says he was using it for asthma I surely do think that he was horribly wronged.

Yeah. Give me a break. He was trying to cut weight (he’s generally a rake, I know) heading into camp.

And though I believe it’s still available by prescription in Canada IF YOU’RE A HORSE (Ventipulmin), there are a ton of other fast-acting B2 drugs that are in fact, prescribed (albuterol / Salbutamol, Combivent, Levalbuterol etc).

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 11/06/14 at 10:22 PM ET