Calgary/Edmonton Trade

added 6:58pm,

Filed in: NHL Teams, Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Wow. Just when I thought the gong show in Edmonton had seen it’s highest point, they outdo themselves again. I’ve only seen a handful of Oilers games this year, but hasn’t their D been awful? And isn’t Smid, over the past four or five years, been one of their more steady D’s?

Posted by Chris M on 11/08/13 at 08:25 PM ET

yea, Chris I agree.  I thought for sure Smid would return the oilers a lot more than just prospects.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 11/08/13 at 09:44 PM ET

calquake's avatar

And ‘bite me’ to whoever said I was dreaming when I suggested the Wings trade for Smid.  He would have had a stabilizing effect on the Wings D.

Posted by calquake on 11/08/13 at 10:07 PM ET

Posted by calquake on 11/08/13 at 09:07 PM ET

I’d have loved to get Smid, but Edmonton traded him to shed salary (though I have no idea why you would weaken your defense before signing a new goalie, especially one who was bought out because of his mediocre play) and Detroit would’ve only been able to do a salary-for salary trade.  No chance of that happening.

Posted by Garth on 11/08/13 at 11:30 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by Garth on 11/08/13 at 10:30 PM ET

And yet you want them to make a trade, but it’s not easy, but you want them to do it anyway. It appears to be damned if you do and damned if you don’t.  I’m not sure I understand the thought process.

Posted by calquake on 11/09/13 at 12:12 AM ET

Posted by calquake on 11/08/13 at 11:12 PM ET

Yeah, isn’t crazy how complex people are?

Where did I damn anyone?  All I said is that the particular trade you you were so brilliant to suggest wouldn’t be possible for very simple, easy to understand reasons.

Posted by Garth on 11/09/13 at 01:29 AM ET

calquake's avatar

Where did I damn anyone?

Kenny Holland ring a bell?

There is a way if the trading partners are willing, which is my point.  I don’t see any willing trading partners, do you?

Posted by calquake on 11/09/13 at 01:43 AM ET

It’s easy for the Wings this off season. Buy out Mule, trade Quincey and Smith for anything, leave tootoo in the minors, tell Sammy to have a nice life, pat eaves on the back add he goes out the door,bring up Nyquist and mantha and bombquist. Profit.

Posted by teldar on 11/09/13 at 10:30 AM ET