Another Vote In Glendale

from Scott Burnside of ESPN,

Tuesday night looms large for the Phoenix Coyotes, given the long and rutted road they have traveled in search of an owner.

The Glendale City Council is expected to vote Tuesday on a reconfigured lease agreement between potential owner Greg Jamison and the municipality.

The deal would pay Jamison $320 million during the life of the 20-year deal and would, in theory, secure the Coyotes' future in Glendale. If the new lease agreement is accepted, Jamison and his partners will attempt to complete the purchase of the team from the NHL, likely by the end of the calendar year.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Phoenix Coyotes, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

So if a lame-duck bunch of committee members vote in a proposal the new administration is against, the Coyotes stay at the cost of 320 million to taxpayers?

What a colossal disaster.  If I lived in Glendale I’d personally sue each and every lame ducker that votes for that traveshamockery.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 11/27/12 at 05:39 PM ET

Does this mean the NHLPA gets to finance 20 years of losses in the desert or is it the people of Glendale that get to take the risk?

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 11/27/12 at 06:03 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Yawn….

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 11/27/12 at 10:02 PM ET

What a colossal disaster.

Why do you care? It doesn’t affect you and if Glendale thinks that it makes economic sense to subsidize the Coyotes for other business purposes, why would you oppose it?  As a hockey fan if this makes the Coyotes viable economically, why aren’t you happy that the game has a chance to make it there?

Posted by timbits on 11/28/12 at 12:00 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

if this makes the Coyotes viable economically

Hahahahahaha….. youze silly

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 11/28/12 at 09:01 AM ET

Why do you care?

A) “If I lived in Glendale I’d…”

B) Why do we care about any of this stuff?  In this specific case I find these machinations interesting and illuminating, so worthy of my attention and comment.

C) Why do you care that I care? smile

Because I stopped thinking “Government Knows Best’ a loooong time ago.  What I do now is decide what I think would be best for business and then act accordingly.

I think what Glendale is doing is spectacularly stupid and irresponsible in the extreme.

1) It’s cowardly for a City Council and Mayor on their way out to lock the city into a 20 year agreement they will be presiding over for around 1% of the duration.

2) The financials themselves don’t make any sense at all.  The City is forking over 16 million bucks a year of tax dollars for… what?  It’s a sucker move that these stupid, shortsighted municipalities make all the time.  They could spend 16 mil a year in tax abatements and actually have a much more balanced and vibrant city structure rather than one hung on the relevance of a damn hockey team barely 14 thousand people a night go to.

So, yeah, if I lived there I’d have launched an injunctive suit to prevent the vote from happening until the new Mayor and Council was sworn in.  And then I would have sued to put the issue up for a referendum.

And then I would have moved if it went through.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 11/28/12 at 10:27 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Sure you would’ve.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/28/12 at 11:16 AM ET

Sure you would’ve.

How many times have I moved in order to secure a better economic environment?

Posted by HockeyinHD on 11/28/12 at 12:44 PM ET