All Tom Dundon

Dundon joined Greg Wyshynski and Emily Kaplan on the latest episode of ESPN on Ice for a wide-ranging interview. Here are a few highlights.

On being a vocal owner:

"I've heard that new owners don't say much initially -- and not sure that's going to work for me."

On rumors that the Hurricanes have been lowballing GM and coaching candidates:

"If I thought that the money and the talent are one-to-one correlated, then I would spend the money. But I believe we can fit really talented people within our budget, and me looking at other people's determination of the market, in paying people -- it's not something I would ever do.

"If I can't find the person who is undervalued and give them the chance at a price I think is fair, and give them a chance to build their market value and build the team, then I might move to a different plan. But I do think it would be surprising if there were only 30 people in the world who could do these jobs. We're looking for the talent, not the résumé."

Filed in: NHL Teams, Carolina Hurricanes, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: tom+dundon

Comments

Primis's avatar

Poor Canes fans.

They have no hope of seeing anything good now during this (probably short—the more I hear about and from this guy the more I expect him to be embroiled in some huge fraud scandal) ownership tenure.

Posted by Primis on 04/24/18 at 08:24 AM ET

Who knows if this guy is going to succeed or fail.  But one thing seems certain, it’s going to be entertaining to watch.

Posted by Steve1306 on 04/24/18 at 08:31 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Posted by Steve1306 on 04/24/18 at 09:31 AM ET

Yup!

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 04/24/18 at 09:30 AM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

But I believe we can fit really talented people within our budget

Hmmmm…..sounds a bit like the “Moneyball” principle that the Oakland A’s employ.

I didn’t read the book, but in the movie….I believe the A’s are still working on that first World Series Ring after employing this strategy.

Good luck in Huston….errr… Raleigh with this strategy…. confused

Posted by Down River Dan on 04/24/18 at 09:40 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

On the first hand, he’s right.  Think of CEO’s - they aren’t truly worth the millions and millions they are payed.

But on the second (more more important) hand, he’s forgetting about the simple principle of supply and demand.  A GM may not be worth 2 mil, but if that’s what it takes to get a certain GM at the time, that’s what you have to pay.  Just like with CEO’s.

Posted by TreKronor on 04/24/18 at 10:55 AM ET

I think the higher up in the organization you go, the more important it is to have experienced people; even more so if you plan to run the organization on a tight budget. Experience is going to cost $$$. That doesn’t mean you can’t succeed with a less experienced/cheaper GM but your chances are a lot less likely.

Posted by evileye on 04/24/18 at 11:49 AM ET

Posted by evileye on 04/24/18 at 12:49 PM ET

Sure, Mr. Illitch.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 04/24/18 at 12:32 PM ET

Primis's avatar

“If I thought that the money and the talent are one-to-one correlated, then I would spend the money.”

Posted by TreKronor on 04/24/18 at 11:55 AM ET

I mean, it’s a hard cap league for rosters.

So you need to spend the money elsewhere to get that edge.  On GM’s, coaches, scouts, etc.

Posted by Primis on 04/24/18 at 01:20 PM ET

We’re all scared. We thought karmanos sucked…

Posted by Iamhaljordan on 04/24/18 at 02:28 PM ET

Steve in San Francisco's avatar

No “hockey person” worth their salt is going to want to work for this guy. He’s going to be looking over every shoulder and have his mitts on every decision made. So any person from the GM down is basically going to be a placeholder to take the heat when things go pear shaped. He’ll probably pluck some ppl from juniors or like the ECHL to give them the “break into the bigtime”.

Posted by Steve in San Francisco on 04/24/18 at 04:39 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Heck Steve, he may have problems signing his own UFAs too, let alone other UFAs.

I imagine agents are keeping a close eye on him.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/24/18 at 04:53 PM ET

Steve in San Francisco's avatar

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/24/18 at 05:53 PM ET

He’s pretty lucky that his D corps are either all locked up for a while, or under team control (three of the six are RFA in July). And if Stempniak bails (as UFA) that’d be a bad start.

Posted by Steve in San Francisco on 04/24/18 at 05:08 PM ET

Yep, it seems he’s really underestimating the roles of culture and tradition
and respect within the fraternity of hockey executives.

Not shocking from a guy with little experience in hockey, who’s close
with Mark Cuban, and who sees himself as a “disrupter”.

And it’s not just about in-group loyalty, it’s about setting prices for yourself and
your peers. Look at how much emphasis Babcock placed on setting a new market
for coaching salaries - not just for himself but for his peers.

Who with the right experience and hockey connections is going to want to be
the guy who helps set prices sharply downward?

It seems penny-wise, pound-foolish to make such a big deal about
cutting his new hires’ salaries dramatically from the current standard.
A few GM respected GM candidates and one coach already made it clear
they’d rather pursue opportunities elsewhere.

Posted by Lefty30 on 04/24/18 at 11:24 PM ET