Afternoon Line- Sidney Crosby On Tom Wilson

“We’ve talked about it a lot with him. He still chooses to make those hits. I’m sure the league’s well aware of tha. I just don’t know how many opportunities you need. Obviously the point hasn’t been made yet.”

“I think this is kind of a unique situation where you got someone who continues to do it, I’m just pointing out the obvious. That’s all I’m doing.”

“He’s a good player. He’s got speed. He goes hard to the net. He’s a tough guy to play against. There’s really no reason to continue to hit like that.”

-Sidney Crosby of the Pittsburgh Penguins on Tom Wilson.  Jonathan Bombulie of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review has more from Crosby.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, Washington Capitals, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: sidney+crosby, tom+wilson

Comments

Paul's avatar

Bob McKenzie of TSN on Leafs Lunch talking about the hit.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/01/18 at 02:35 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

It doesn’t matter what side of the argument you’re on.
If the NHL wants to get rid of hits like this, they need to drop the hammer on the first instance.

Look at past idiots like Matt Cooke, Raffi Torres and now Tom Wilson.
Both Cook and Torres would play levy a dirty hit only to get a stern warning. Then a game. Then maybe a fine. Eventually, after a half-dozen transgressions, they finally received a lengthy suspension that cost them a lot of money. It wasn’t until then, where they changed their ways or were removed from the league.

Tom Wilson is no different. Just like the next moron who will inevitably come along.
Stop beating around the bush. If you want a hit like this out of the game, it’s an auto 5 game suspension on the first infraction. 15 on the second, 25 on the third and 82 on the fourth.
We can argue that’s not harsh enough, but the point is, stop handing out pathetic punishments for the first 3 or 4 times these idiots nearly kill someone.

Create a hard standard so everyone knows, if you commit a hit like ‘this’, then you’re automatically going to lose 8% of your paycheck.
You’ll see these types of hits, or these types of players, out of the league in no time.

Posted by Hank1974 on 10/01/18 at 04:41 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

For once—and potentially the only time in my life—I completely agree with Crosby.

Posted by RedMenace from The Bud Light Pit of Misery on 10/01/18 at 06:06 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Where were these strong sentiments and opinions on this very issue when it was your teammate Matt Cooke, Sidney?

No really, where were they?

Posted by Hank1974 on 10/01/18 at 04:41 PM ET

We need to see the players out of the league/game/sport.  The problem is, too many people are too interested in “rehabbing” this kind of player, when it’s become clear there is no “rehabbing” to be had most of the time.

Screw that.  How about you start with 5 games, go to 25 or 30 for a repeat… and on the 3rd strike they’re done.  Forever.

But nooooo we can’t have that, because the NHLPA is a joke and has no interest in protecting their own, so they’d fight it.  After all, if they lose a player for good a new player comes in to collect dues from.  So instead every issue is political, and a struggle for sheer naked power.  And that’s all the PA really is:  a way to get money from the players so that someone else has control of it and pretend they have the power.

What, you think Donald Fehr isn’t making coin for sitting in an expensive office doing… what exactly?...

We blame the league, and rightfully so.  But the PA doesn’t get anywhere near the blame/responsibility they deserve for why these clowns continue to get chances.

Posted by Primis on 10/01/18 at 06:08 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

You beat me to it. LOL

Posted by bigfrog on 10/01/18 at 10:00 PM ET

Crosby is exactly right and I like how bluntly he expresses himself here.

No doubt, it’s easier to say this about a rival than about your own teammate.
It would be interesting to know what guys said internally about/to Cooke
when he was their teammate. It does sound IIRC like management eventually
made it clear they’d stop enabling those serially predatory dangerous hits.

I’m also willing to believe Crosby has learned and matured some with age and experience, like many have regarding the seriousness of head injuries and the senselessness
of blasting a guy in the head just because you can.

I’ll be honest. While I’ll never be a Crosby fan or even close, I don’t hate the guy.
I have some grudging respect for him, even if the league at certain points
tried to elevate the Pens given his stardom. But I can’t immediately think of a player
in the league I can stand less than Tom Wilson. He is a good player.
And he can be a plenty hard and honest hitter. And yet in spite of chance after chance
after chance, with so much more emphasis on “here, Tom, try to do it this way”
rather than “here’s what happens when you keep senselessly targeting opponents”,
he keeps at it to an almost cartoonish extent. How many times has he done this in just the past several games alone, playoffs and preseason?

I’m not going to focus quite so much blame on the NHLPA when the DoPS can and should take the initiative to impose and rigorously defend severe deterrent suspensions - make the NHLPA come out for serial headhunting by their members. But no doubt the NHLPA has a weird conflict of interest here. And they seem to resolve it by putting all of their energy into protecting the repeat offenders from suspensions that are warranted and might actually protect their members health and safety and seemingly none on the latter.
That’s perverse. So a member pulling down 5M+/year might eventually forfeit up to an eighth of that - which goes into a fund to help players anyway. What does the guy with the serious head injury get from his union?

Posted by Lefty30 on 10/01/18 at 10:04 PM ET