Afternoon Line- Ryan Reaves

“At some point, COVID just has to be a flu. We can’t just keep going through all the new variants and shutdowns. At some point, it’s just got to go away. We’ve got to live through it, deal with it and just understand if you’ve got symptoms, go test. If you’ve got it, stay home for a couple days. I think we’ve learned, especially this year, guys have been getting it, don’t even know they’ve had it most of the time. For me, I had it and it was two days and I felt completely fine. I had to test out, wait the five days, I missed two games when I felt I could have played. I hope we stop testing. I hope the world, in general, gets back. Because I’m sick of this, to be honest with you.”

-Ryan Reaves of the New York Rangers.  Sean Shapiro of The Athletic has more (paid) reaction from the players.

Filed in: NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Hootinani's avatar

What an incredibly myopic, self centered view.

Posted by Hootinani on 01/19/22 at 02:08 PM ET

Reaves is exactly right.

Posted by pnwwing on 01/19/22 at 02:08 PM ET

Christ. Even from a neanderthal like Reaves those are some stunningly idiotic statements.

Posted by godblender on 01/19/22 at 02:59 PM ET

Steeb's avatar

I only hope that the ones deciding the new protocols are taking advice from doctors and virologists, too, and not just their bean counters.

Posted by Steeb on 01/19/22 at 03:16 PM ET

He’s right… an idiot but 100% right.

Posted by SevensForTed on 01/19/22 at 04:20 PM ET

jhpcarrier97's avatar

Does anyone know why our game with Philadelphia was cancelled ???  Both teams were playing previous ??

Posted by jhpcarrier97 on 01/19/22 at 04:35 PM ET

SauceBoss's avatar

Posted by jhpcarrier97 on 01/19/22 at 03:35 PM ET

So PHL could play NYI cuz they are so far behind in games played compared to everyone else

Posted by SauceBoss on 01/19/22 at 04:51 PM ET

There’s some truth to what he’s saying—the idea that it’ll become endemic instead of pandemic—but of course as others have said his perspective in these quotes is self-centered and not considerate of other factors.

I mean, of course if everyone who got Covid had the same experience as he did, no one would care about it. But that’s not the case, and that’s why hospitals are still packed in too many places. Does the NHL’s testing really matter to that? Not likely much, but I think the optics are a bit problematic in that we need to be patient for a little longer, I think, hope to ride this out a bit and actually have things turn in a positive, manageable direction. Nobody likes that or wants that, so if sports leagues are going to toss that messaging out the window, it’s likely to encourage others watching to also sort of stop caring—a bit prematurely.

Posted by nosferatu from Albany, NY on 01/19/22 at 11:01 PM ET