Afternoon Line- Don Cherry On This Year’s Draft By The Toronto Maple Leafs

The Maple Leafs team who needed jam and sand paper last year drafted; 1 Russian, 2 Fins and 3 Americans all described as rather on the small size 5’9 to 5’11. The Leafs have gotten smaller and gentler… this team sits among 40000 kids who love the Leafs… it really does boggle the mind.

-Don Cherry.  Read more on this.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Toronto Maple Leafs, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: don+cherry

Comments

tkfergy's avatar

He is so xenophobic, I can’t believe that he is still on the air.

Posted by tkfergy on 06/23/19 at 05:27 PM ET

If Don hates your plan you know you must be doing something right.

Posted by dwgs on 06/23/19 at 06:42 PM ET

Isn’t drafting small players against Babcock’s opinion/system who used to heavily favor tall/big players?

Posted by tutoka from Leelanau Peninsula on 06/23/19 at 07:17 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

The entire Canadian media seemed so dang obsessed with where the players were coming from. So many of the articles and shows leading up to the draft focused on how many players were coming from where… I just don’t get it. The players are drafted because they are expected to be good… Not because of where they were born.

I could understand if there was one or two hot beds for hockey but honestly, there is a lot of talent coming from Canada, USA, Finland, Sweden, and Russia.  Sometimes I think Canadians forget other countries play hockey too.

Posted by TreKronor on 06/23/19 at 09:24 PM ET

r/shitdoncherrysays

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 06/23/19 at 10:16 PM ET

duhduhduh's avatar

He is so xenophobic, I can’t believe that he is still on the air.

Posted by tkfergy on 06/23/19 at 05:27 PM ET

I mean, there are countries where he could be president

Posted by duhduhduh on 06/24/19 at 08:57 AM ET

TreKronor,  aside from Don Cherry most Canadians do pay attention to where players are coming from but it’s only due to our unhealthy obsession with the sport, not because of any bias.  When I discuss players with my family and friends we talk about where they are from but only as part of the package.  No one really thinks Canadian players are overall better anymore (no one who is more than a casual fan anyway).  I had a couple of buddies and my nephew over on Friday night and we were all praising the USNTDP, NCAA hockey (which btw is my son’s dream destination) and the Finnish and Swedish programs.  I’m still a bit suspicious of some things Russian but I think with good reason.  Sure we’re happy when a Canadian kid does well, he’s one of ours after all but for the most part people of my generation and below (I’m 53) long ago accepted that the game has changed and for the better.

Posted by dwgs on 06/24/19 at 09:08 AM ET

Don Cherry is so xenophobic he would have passed on Hughes and Kakko.

This is the same idiot who guaranteed Boston would win the Stanley Cup if they won game 6 in St Louis. Why? Because the only thing non-Canadian he likes is the Boston Bruins. I think he still thinks he is coaching that team sometimes.

Posted by evileye on 06/24/19 at 04:17 PM ET