A Bad Look

from Ken Campbell of The Hockey News,

Since the COVID-19 pandemic took hold, more than 260,000 people have died in North America. On Thursday, a mind-boggling 1,962 people died in the United States alone. That’s 1,962 families that lost a loved one. The job losses have been staggering. Businesses are closing and people are facing a fearful and uncertain future. Twelve million Americans – 12 million! – face the possibility of losing their pandemic unemployment benefits the day after Christmas. According to modeling charts prepared by the Public Health Agency, Canada could face a worst-case scenario of 60,000 new cases a day by the end of December. Things are getting worse in the second wave and there is no immediate end in sight.

So of course the NHL would pick now to try to squeeze more money out of the players in exchange for giving them the privilege of playing hockey this season, right? It boggles the mind how tone-deaf the league can be sometimes. After doing such an outstanding job pulling off the playoffs and building up all sorts of good will, the league now looks petty. And what’s worse is it is dragging the players down into the mud and engaging them in a public relations war they are destined to lose. Because for whatever reason, a good portion of the paying public tends to paint the millionaire players as whiny and entitled, while giving the billionaire owners a free pass.

Right about now, you might be tempted to say, “A pox on both your houses.” And you’d be reasonable in saying that. Four months ago, the players collectively bargained a four-year extension in good faith with the owners and they did so girding themselves for what they thought would be the worst-case scenario.

continued

Filed in: NHL Talk, NHLPA, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

If your second sentence is going to include an abject lie, “On Thursday…1962 people died in the United States alone”, the rest of your article is not worth reading.  The truth, 1962 deaths were reported in the United States on Thursday.  A majority of those deaths actually occurred weeks and even months before.  There has not been a week in the United States that has averaged 1000 deaths a day since August.  The amount of manipulated information and fear mongering from the media in the past 9 months should be criminal.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 11/21/20 at 12:45 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Thanks for the clarification V.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/21/20 at 12:47 PM ET

For reference, he’s a chart from October.  https://rationalground.com/deaths-and-data-and-covid-19-a-daily-deadly-confusion/

The dates at the bottom are week ending, starting with week ending 3/7/2020 which was week 11.  You can click the numbers on the right which correspond to deaths reported in that given week.  For example if you click the “28” on the right, the chart will show when the deaths actually occurred for all the death reported in week 28.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 11/21/20 at 01:07 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Valek: I am truly saddened by reading the articles on Rational Ground. They are anti-mask, anti-public health restrictions and anti-government. To other readers: Don’t take my word for it, read it yourself and decide for yourself.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 11/21/20 at 01:54 PM ET

Cal, if you’re happy living in a totalitarian state then that’s your choice.  Me, I prefer freedom and the ability to assess life’s risk on my own without big government’s hands on my shoulders.  And don’t even try to give me that “you’re putting other people’s life at risk” BS.  Countless other things you do potentially put other people’s life at risk, some as common as getting in your car.  If putting someone else’s health in danger is some sort of crime, then anyone who’s ever worked in fast food, or sold cigarettes or alcohol should be in jail.

It’s funny that while you’re so concerned with the views of those at Rational Ground the one thing you don’t do is dispute any of their data.

Yes, they’re anti-mask, because there is no study and no data that suggests masks work as a preventative for the general public, while there’s a crap ton of both that says they don’t.

Yes, they’re anti health restrictions but in the sense that the restrictions that have been used so far in the way of far reaching lockdowns and closures haven’t been working and were never recommended to stop a pandemic before this year.  The long term effects on peoples’ lively hoods and mental health will be devastating.  Yes there’s people dying from Covid, there’s going to be a crap ton more dying from hunger and tuberculosis worldwide in the next few years because of our response to Covid.

Finally, yes they’re anti-government, but in the sense of we’re in the middle of a time where politicians here in the US at least are bypassing both the Federal and State Constitutions to enact stringent controls over the populace with almost no oversite or accountability.  Few of these clowns are even following their own rules.  It’s idiotic that these tyrants can keep issuing orders based on a health emergency that they themselves get to decide when it ends.

I’ve stayed away from this blog since Covid started because I didn’t want to have these kind of arguments, but my God people, wake the *#$%@& up.  There is so much misinformation coming from politicians, their medical advisors, and the media.  Frightened people are easier to control and they know it.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 11/21/20 at 02:40 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 11/21/20 at 03:13 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

It smells funny in here.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 11/21/20 at 03:13 PM ET

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 11/21/20 at 02:40 PM ET

Spewing conspiracy theories that you read from an online conspiratorial website (which has ZERO mention of credentials or journalistic integrity practice standards…maybe it’s your site?) is probably the best way to not be taken at all seriously among reasonable human beings.

Posted by godblender on 11/21/20 at 03:17 PM ET

Posted by godblender on 11/21/20 at 03:17 PM ET

Once again, not disputing just disparaging.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 11/21/20 at 03:39 PM ET

If your second sentence is going to include an abject lie

Why assume malice when the more obvious answer is ignorance?

He didn’t “lie”, he wanted a number to support an argument he was making and when he found a number he didn’t confirm it.

You’re really angry that he didn’t do a thorough deep dive into the covid death numbers for a simple line in an article about the league trying to renegotiate the terms of the CBA? Come on,  you’re bringing in conspiracies and politics into something that has nothing to do with conspiracies or politics.

Also, he wasn’t “fear mongering”. His point wasn’t to scare people about covid, it was to denigrate the league. That’s it, and that’s all.

Once again, not disputing just disparaging.

You don’t “dispute” the rantings of the man in dirty, tattered clothes standing on the busy street corner yelling obscenities at strangers while he has one hand down his pants, you simply walk past him, steadfastly avoiding eye contact and trying to block the smell of pee from your nostrils.

Posted by PresidentJoeByzerman on 11/21/20 at 05:08 PM ET

calquake's avatar

It smells funny in here.

Sorry, I meant to pass it over to you.  smile

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 11/21/20 at 05:12 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Cal, if you’re happy living in a totalitarian state then that’s your choice.

If you truly believe we are all living in a totalitarian state there is no convincing you otherwise. You have made up your mind. As far as disputing the data, it’s data with an agenda; I’ll leave that up to the CDC and medical experts.

And lastly… Lighten Up Francis.  wink  This is an article aboot the NHL seeking more concessions from the players. You chose to bring insert politics into it.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 11/21/20 at 05:31 PM ET

Posted by PresidentJoeByzerman on 11/21/20 at 05:08 PM ET

Strange logic there.  By that thought process I could say I’m an epidemiologist and you should listen to everything I say about Covid.  I’m not an epidemiologist of course, but it helps support my argument.

Posted by PresidentJoeByzerman on 11/21/20 at 05:08 PM ET

You’re going to equate a crazy guy on the street to people who collated data from government sites like the CDC as well as state and local public health sites?  Once again, strange logic.  Falling right back into disparaging and not refuting.  Being sheep is easy, I know.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 11/21/20 at 06:06 PM ET

And lastly… Lighten Up Francis.    This is an article aboot the NHL seeking more concessions from the players. You chose to bring insert politics into it.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin’ on my manifesto on 11/21/20 at 05:31 PM ET

Actually you’re the one that brought politics into it.  All I did was give you data and facts.  You’re the one that decided to label the guys that collected that data as anti-government.  That sounds kind of political.  And if you truly believe we’re living in a free country right now, there’s no convincing you otherwise. You have made up your mind.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 11/21/20 at 06:07 PM ET

Well I’m done for the day.  Have to head to work like I’ve done every week since covid started.  Somehow I’ve managed to stay healthy.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 11/21/20 at 06:07 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Good on you and here’s hoping you stay healthy and safe.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 11/21/20 at 07:23 PM ET

There you have it, folks.  He is going to work every week, and hasn’t gotten Covid, therefore the entire medical profession is part of a secret global conspiracy to control the masses.  You can’t argue with air tight logic like that, Rudy Guiiliani would be proud.

Sadly, if someone thinks there are horses on the ceiling, nothing you are going to say is going to change their mind.  I believe the clinical term is “nuts in the noodle”.

Posted by MikeO on 11/21/20 at 07:34 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

You are correct. And the world is doing what it can to limit these problems as well. Its just a shame when some people feel the need to fight the people trying to solve the problems.

I would think you know someone in the medical community personally. Ask them. I have a couple friends and they are scared shitless they will end up like so many of their medical friends that have died from this shit.

And yeah I can post a text message where my friend told me about a nurse that died from it even though they wear all that protection.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 11/22/20 at 02:19 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

There’s has to be one of them that turns a hockey article into a political rant:
This is a great watch from PBS Frontline on how these people are being duped:

Be well!

And Cal, pass that this way, maybe I will get paranoid and believe some of their paranoid bullshit.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 11/22/20 at 07:24 AM ET

calquake's avatar

Like No Way Man! You might be one of those like narcs man. Besides, my toaster won’t stop spying on me.  smile

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 11/22/20 at 10:57 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin’ on my manifesto on 11/22/20 at 10:57 AM ET

Stingy ah!!? Don’t bogart that joint my friend…..

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 11/22/20 at 11:09 AM ET

calquake's avatar

Hey dd, I’d like to wish you and yours, all the 19, Paul and even Valek a very safe Happy Thanksgiving.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 11/22/20 at 11:14 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

One more thing regarding losing our freedoms because of Covid, let’s raise hell when this virus is done with and are freedoms are not restored (if).
Saving family members should come first.

We lost tons of our liberty due to the Patriot Act and i still have not seen anyone raise arms over that. We lose liberties every day with cameras everywhere with facial recognition, AI software, drones we cannot see, and on and on.

Maybe some of the Covid restrictions are overblown, but in some cases you need some frog slop factor to protect people from ignorance and arrogance of others. Let’s be patient and see how things unfold and do your best to support small businesses during this time.

Also lets not let politics separate us because when we do, we lose more liberties and the only ones that gain are the rich and powerful elite.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 11/22/20 at 11:21 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Happy Thanksgiving to Cal and everyone here. Fatboy’s favorite holiday next Halloween

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 11/22/20 at 11:38 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

That’s rich. Right after everyone piled on Valek.

Posted by ilovehomers on 11/22/20 at 12:27 PM ET

Steeb's avatar

If you’d like to see the numbers—taken from the CDC and other countries’s similar departments—without spin, look here:

Just numbers. The US has more cases and deaths than any other country in the world (incl places like India, who have 4x the population), and it’s not close. That is, I guess, unless you believe that hospitals across the country and around the world are falsifying death certificates. In that case, I can’t help you.

Posted by Steeb on 11/22/20 at 01:11 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

This is a great watch from PBS Frontline on how these people are being duped:

Using PBS as a source about who is being “duped” is no different than using CNN for that info. Actually, PBS is probably further to the left than CNN or MSNBC.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 11/24/20 at 12:01 AM ET

Steeb's avatar

Posted by OlderThanChelios

Saying where an outlet (“probably”)  falls on the political spectrum doesn’t say a thing about the documentary that was cited, and is about the laziest form of argument there is.

But I’m glad this didn’t devolve into a political discussion.  rolleyes

Posted by Steeb on 11/24/20 at 01:10 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by Steeb on 11/24/20 at 01:10 PM ET

PBS quit producing “objective” documentaries years ago, and it’s only gotten worse in the past four years. It’s a flat-out liberal media organization with the same agenda as CNN and MSNBC.

If you don’t understand that, you obviously don’t watch PBS with any regularity.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 11/24/20 at 02:26 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

OTC,
Since the 80s PBS board has been pretty balanced between republican and democrats. One board member served for both Bushes. But I hear you. Its not something Foxnews or current affair would produce.

Do me a favor and watch it and PM the points you think are bs or valid. I would love to hear your thoughts. Let me know in this thread when you PM me please.

Be well

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 11/25/20 at 06:18 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Do me a favor and watch it and PM the points you think are bs or valid.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit

Honestly, dd, I don’t have an hour to watch it. But I accept the fact that Alex Jones is out there on the fringes of reality. However, I see the same level of “fantasy” being peddled by CNN and MSNBC as well as PBS on a regular basis. Hell, CNN lived the fantasy of a “Russian-Trump conspiracy” for four years in spite of all the evidence to the contrary.

My main point about PBS is that it’s not an “objective” source of information when it comes to subjects like immigration, the climate, Trump, or conservative thought in general. They have a highly slanted left-leaning point of view and they push it in every documentary they produce (and almost all of the outside documentaries they air).

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 11/25/20 at 03:57 PM ET