Abel to Yzerman

The Goaltending Picture For The Detroit Red Wings

from Ted Kulfan of the Detroit News,

This is the first of a three-part series examining the state of the Red Wings' organization at every position. Today: goaltenders.

... “This is the only organization I know,” said Howard. “I love playing for the Wings, my family loves living in Detroit. It’s very special.”

Trade speculation around Howard was rampant last season.

With the Red Wings expected to be sellers at the deadline again in the 2019-20 season, and Howard on a one-year contract, there’s likely a ton of rumors about Howard’s future again.

Howard’s situation will go a long way in determining how the goaltending position will look going forward.

Howard and Jonathan Bernier held the position last season and will do so again beginning in October.

Prospect Filip Larsson will begin his professional career in Grand Rapids, with veteran Calvin Pickard backing Larsson.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

IMO you can snuff out any ideas of a Howard trade. He said his family likes Detroit and I feel he’d retire before uprooting his family for possibly a few years somewhere else. He’s definitely not going to bounce around and I was under the impression that’s why he signed a one year deal. If Detroit is dissatisfied with him he’s done or possibly renegotiate a contract with another team but surely not for the same money that he’s willing to play in Detroit for.

Posted by stateofmifan on 08/13/19 at 10:22 AM ET

Steeb's avatar

Not that he has much say in the matter (having no trade protection), but I can see him going to the Isles at the deadline as a rental, who probably wish they’d had better goaltending in the 2nd round last year. Obviously they can trade him anywhere that wants him, but a NY team might be more likely, since there’s probably a better chance they can re-sign him, should that be their plan. After that he can sign where he wants or retire as the circumstances warrant.

Posted by Steeb on 08/13/19 at 12:17 PM ET

who probably wish they’d had better goaltending in the 2nd round last year.

They should be more worried about scoring, since they put the puck in the net a grand total of five times in that second round series.

But sure, I let’s blame the goaltending.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 08/13/19 at 01:34 PM ET

Steeb's avatar

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 08/13/19 at 02:34 PM ET

Huh, well, the discussion here is about Jimmy Howard—a goaltender—and what the trade options might be for him this year. I doubt he’d score them many goals, but sure, “I let’s” put that on him, too.

Posted by Steeb on 08/13/19 at 01:37 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

I still have a screen shot saved of someone stating Howie’s poor puck handling caused a significant decrease in the Wings’ scoring.

Ah, memories.

Posted by ilovehomers on 08/13/19 at 06:34 PM ET

I guess that’s why I brought up the fact that goaltending wasn’t the issue in Long Island, and therefore there’s little to no reason why the Islanders would pick up Howard.

I know, I know. It was a REALLY complex thought that was VERY difficult to follow, I can’t blame you for losing the thread while trying to figure out what I was talking about.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 08/15/19 at 09:18 AM ET

Well, the goaltender who did so well for the Islanders, Lehner, is no longer there. So, it is possible they COULD be looking for improvement come the trade deadline.

A LOT can happen between now and the deadline. What Pickard gives the Wings are a few more options should the opportunity present itself. At this point I’m hoping both Howard and Bernier have good seasons and either one becomes a tradeable commodity. Neither is part of the future.

Posted by evileye on 08/15/19 at 10:32 AM ET